Send us a suggestion!

News Covid-19 Area Closures related to Canyoneering

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ratagonia, Mar 27, 2020.

1. ratagonia

ratagonia

Bill and Kevin like this.
  2. ratagonia

ratagonia

Grand County (Moab), Emery County (San Rafael Swell) and Carbon County (Price, northern Swell) have been closed to vacationers and camping for a couple weeks now. Article:

https://moabcity.org/551/COVID-19-I...sigIKZfbJ1m3_n_npk-e6f1d67xexCH1MPykbupwJr0W4

Overnight Lodging. Effective at 10 pm (MST) on March 17, 2020, all overnight and short-term lodging facilities (including but not limited to hotels, motels, condos, townhomes, guest homes, RV parks, and all camping on public or private lands) within Carbon, Emery, and Grand Counties may only check-in, rent, or lease to Essential Visitors and Primary Residents. Essential Visitors and Primary Residents may utilize public lands for primitive camping purposes. No camp shall be located within 200 yards of another camp and no camp shall consist of more than IO people. An Essential Visitor is any individual renting lodging or camping for an amount of time less than 30 days for the purposes of work within Carbon, Emery, and Grand Counties, or for an employer within the boundaries of Carbon, Emery, and Grand Counties, and their spouse and dependents. Primary Residents are any individuals renting lodging for periods of 30 days or greater or whose primary address is within one of the counties.
  3. ratagonia

ratagonia

4. Bill

Bill ... Staff Member

Fun facts.

Canyonlands did not offer me a refund for my backcountry permits or even a rain check for a later date. I do get a credit assuming I can score the same hard to get permit again in the future.

We received a full refund for out San Juan river permits via recreation.gov after the cancellation. Great news because that was $150+

I have CBN/Wave permits for Mid April.... fingers crossed that I will get a rain check for a future date if it does get canceled.
    Kevin and ratagonia like this.
  5. clangingsymbol

clangingsymbol

Arizona Governor Ducey has issued a "Stay At Home" Order through April 30. Just saying. You might want to check with BLM now since this order will cover all of April and technically, The Wave is in Arizona (I believe...even though the hike starts in Utah...again I think). I am not weighing in or providing my opinion on whether you follow the Stay At Home orders.

Edit to post: Here is a new link for you.

https://www.abc15.com/news/state/stay-at-home-order-issued-for-arizona-to-combat-coronavirus-spread
    Yellow Dart and Bill like this.
  6. Bill

Bill ... Staff Member

Thanks for the heads up. As I mentioned I would be content with a rain check for a future date considering it took almost 5 years to get this permit. :cry:

Anyways, it is what it is.
    ratagonia likes this.
  7. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

8. Ram

Ram

Our canyoneering friends at the NPS asked that this information be passed along. This will all pass. Be safe. Be careful. Be generous and see you all "out there" soon.

re: Lost Spring canyon closures (MMI and Lost and Found / Undercover). Access to these canyons begins outside the park on BLM, but quickly transitions to within the Arches boundary. The park has closure signs in place, and messaging on their park website, but they need your additional help to let the canyoneering community know before they arrive at the Lost Spring trailhead for these routes. They should know this ahead of time through the required permitting process, but occasionally folks show up without a permit, then attempt to get one online on their phone. Past rescues in the Lost Spring area have typically involved many SAR/EMS personnel, so the park is doing all they can to prevent additional risks to first responders when they are needed most. Additionally, law enforcement rangers will be patrolling the area and may issue citations to persons violating this closure under the authority of 36 CFR 1.5(f.)
    ratagonia and Kevin like this.
  9. Rdunn

Rdunn

10. wisconnyjohnny

wisconnyjohnny

northwash is closed

Attached Files:

• B03790C0-E8F2-4346-AD8B-75C202E7EFA8.
      Filename:
      B03790C0-E8F2-4346-AD8B-75C202E7EFA8.jpeg
      File size:
      239.9 KB
      Views:
    John Styrnol likes this.
  11. Ram

Ram

The North Wash area near Glen Canyon is closed. Sandthrax is on BLM land,perhaps 15 miles away from the boundary. If Garfield County camping is closed, then the North Wash canyoneering venue, including Sandthrax would then be closed....I think?
    wisconnyjohnny likes this.
  12. ratagonia

ratagonia

Yes, but... It is possible/likely that the Hog Springs biffy is closed. Perhaps it would be most responsible to consider the whole North Wash area to be closed.

Tom
  13. Dan H

Dan H FNG

I think it would be most responsible to consider all high risk outdoor activities closed. If your chosen activity increases the odds of an ambulance going into an remote area then you should not participate in that activity. Jumping off of cliffs attached to polyester strings is inherently riskier than going on a simple hike. We should probably consider all technical canyons closed for a while.
    ratagonia likes this.
  14. Rick Demarest

Rick Demarest

15. zul

zul

I don't see any Garfield county closures? How about Escalante, UT?

Does anyone have a link to anything current?

thx.
  16. ratagonia

ratagonia

I think you have not been paying attention.
    Dave Melton and Dan H like this.
  17. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

From Wayne County:

Screenshot_20200403-105841_Facebook.
    wisconnyjohnny and Dave Melton like this.
  18. zul

zul

I am home and safe, thank you. Closure information is vague and confusing.
    I have some friends finishing up a camp outing in Escalante, UT. I guess I should tell them to head home as "Everything is closed."?

This from the Glenn Canyon web site as of 4/2/2020 ...

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Response
    The National Park Service is modifying its operations on a park-by-park basis in accordance with the latest guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and state and local public health authorities. While most facilities and events are closed or canceled, many of our outdoor spaces remain accessible to the public. Before visiting, please check with individual parks regarding changes to park operations. If you choose to visit a national park, please ensure that you follow CDC and state and local guidelines to prevent the spread of infectious diseases and practice Leave No Trace principles. Updates about the NPS response, including safety information, are posted on www.nps.gov/coronavirus.

Would it be safe and reasonable to launch a boat for some camping and hiking with the family?
    Things aren't very clear right now. Lots of grey area.
  19. ratagonia

ratagonia

I find it strange that you ask these questions while providing links to the pages that answer these questions for you. The full rundown on Glen Canyon Natl Rec Area is on this page: https://www.nps.gov/glca/planyourvisit/conditions.htm though you have to scroll past the top which confusingly looks just like the page you came from.

Well, okay. You did not provide links, you only provided instructions. And yes, I am irritated. Partly I am irritated because in the small rural Utah community I live in, am quarantined in, people are not taking 'proper precautions' because this has moved from a D Hoax to a 'City folk problem'. "IF we can keep them cityfolk from coming down here, we will not have the COVID" seems to be the prevailing attitude. There is some truth to that, but only some.

My friend's small rural community in Arizona (Winslow) just got hit hard with COVID in the last few days. THE pharmacist in town (spoken as if there is only one) has the COVID - who has he interacted with in the last ten days?

But I digress. Looks like the launch ramps are open and dispersed camping on Lake Powell is considered legal. Boat inspection is still taking place.

Yes, you should tell your friends to head home, do not pass go, do not collect $1200, everything is closed. Go home, Shelter in Place. Even if your wingnut governor and/or other politicians are reluctant to be so emphatic.

>Would it be safe and reasonable to launch a boat for some camping and hiking with the family?

It appears that this would be legal once you got there. It might not be legal to travel there... or kinda grey.

Some people, like me, will shame you for even suggesting this.

It may or may not be safe; it may or may not be moral. Certainly if you do it, you should be self-sufficient (or at least non-social-contact sufficient) from the moment you depart your house to the moment you return.

Tom
    Dan H likes this.
  20. Rick Demarest

Rick Demarest

"Is it safe?" This question, in one form or another, keeps popping up on a lot of social media sites. Safe for whom? Yes, I understand that you are concerned for your personal safety or that of friends or family and you want to only do what's allowed. <rant> How fucking self-centered are you? Do you not understand the danger you are putting medical resources in - local small hospitals, SAR teams, first responders. If all the small communities (Moab is a really good example) are requesting everyone stay away during their prime economic season that just might give you a clue as to how important it is to GO HOME, STAY HOME! </rant>

Home - that area in my immediate community that allows me to not put others at unnecessary risk and where I can follow all the distancing guidelines.
    wisconnyjohnny and ratagonia like this.