Send us a suggestion!

Costa Rica canyons

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by kesscokim, Feb 24, 2004.

1. kesscokim

kesscokim Guest

It's our last day in Costa Rica; we're heading back tomorrow.

A ways back someone posted something about some canyons in Costa Rica. I can't find the post though. Has anyone in the group actually done any canyons in Costa Rica? There are guided trips around Fortuna and Monte Verde, but the canyons there appear to be more v-shaped and it appears that it's mostly rappelling off waterfalls than going through real slot canyons.

One slot canyon really caught my eye however. It's below Rincon de la Vieja (volcano) not too far south of the Nicaragua border. It appeared to be very deep, narrow, long and impressive, and it looked like a really good (and wet) slot canyon. It also has very easy access since the road actually crosses the canyon (but it's so narrow, you'll miss it if you blink!). No guided trips go there. Since Rincon is a popular hiking area, I was wondering if anyone in the group has hiked there. Certainly other group members have been to Costa Rica as it's a popular place? Has anyone seen this slot canyon from the road?