Send us a suggestion!

Contingency anchor issues

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by Scott B, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Scott B

Scott B

I recently had an incident where a contingency figure 8 bound (stuck) the rope with a rappeller 5 feet off the deck. This wouldn't normally happen but we were practicing lowering and it turned into a serious situation. Yes, in hindsight we should, and will in the future, have lowered the rope all the way down. We did tie a knot in the end of the rope. We were able to finally release the stuck rope before rigging a 4:1 pulley to release the tension on the 8 against the rapide. Two questions:
    1) is it suggested that all raps be rigged with a contingency? vs. a clove hitch on a locker I can see the logic, especially setting up a rap down a waterfall in case a rappeller gets stuck and needs a quick lower. However, it would be more of a hassle when setting up a pull cord retrieve?
    2) Has anybody else experienced a stuck rope using the standard figure 8 contingency? pulling a bight through then over the end with a twist or not? I was made aware of the "Euro 8 braid" that utilizes a daisy chain of the rope vs the flip over the end, any experience with this?
  2. hank moon

hank moon lovely ligatures

@Scott B

Pictures and a much more detailed description of what happened would be welcome.

To answer your questions briefly:

1) It *might* be suggested to rig all raps with a contingency, depending on the water hazard, team member skill levels, etc. In general, many folks rig most everything for contingency in Class C, but few do in Class A/B.

2. A picture recently appeared in a post on FB "Canyon Rigging" group showing a stuck Fig. 8 block. Perhaps yours is the same one?
    Scott B and Mountaineer like this.
  3. Canyonero

Canyonero

I rig them all contingency anchors when I'm taking out Boy Scout groups, but that's because that's a requirement. When I'm out with friends, I generally don't. But I don't really do much class C either.

When I do rig a contingency anchor, I use a munter/mule. First, because I think it's easier to use. Second, it's an extremely handy self-rescue knot. Third, there's no additional gear (like a figure 8 and a rapide) to carry with you. Fourth, you can't drop a munter/mule, it's a skill not a piece of gear. Not saying you can't get someone stuck somehow with a munter, but it seems a little harder than doing it with a contingency 8.
    Rapterman, ratagonia and Scott B like this.
  4. Norb

Norb

I'll give my personal answer on #1.
    My answer is, it depends on the group. I rig contingency more often than not, but if my group has people that can't ascend, it's close to 100%(Even in class A/B).
    Rapterman likes this.
  5. ratagonia

ratagonia

It depends on the anchors, too.

I have seen people rig contingency anchors on very-hard-to-reach anchors (under chockstones, etc.) where it seemed unlikely to be able to be used if needed. I ask why. "To be safe"! Yeah, right!

Yes. In Disney-fied canyons where all the anchors are conveniently located, rigging for contingency each and every time might be prudent. But in REAL canyons, not so much.

Tom
    Tirrus and Rapterman like this.
  6. ratagonia

ratagonia

It has been suggested that, if your 8 block is jammed, you can clip into it with your short tether and lean back to pull it off the rapid link and unstick it.

Tom