Send us a suggestion!

Conditions--- Kolob Creek currently has a *bit* of flow

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by deathtointernet, Sep 13, 2018.

1. deathtointernet

deathtointernet

Everyone hear that they are draining Kolob Reservoir to get rid of the bad fish? Great, I'll skip right to it then. I heard that and said, "I kind want to go see how terrifying it looks right now." And so yesterday I headed on down to the head of the slot canyon, and yeah, there's some flow. So much in fact that I couldn't find any reasonable place to cross so I was stuck bushwhacking on the south side of the creek to the slot... though being on that side probably afforded me better views anyway. (Caveat... I feel I do alright with photography, but my skills as a videographer are probably a bit lacking, especially when I'm fighting through brush to get a view and also not fall in and add a new chapter to the legacy of Kolob Creek)

Just before the initial waterfall into the slot:
    P1690932.JPG

The top of the waterfall:
    P1690937.JPG

As much of the waterfall as I could get from the edge of the canyon:
    P1690959.JPG

The creek where it crosses the road (so if anyone wants to know what 'definitely too much CFS looks like):
    P1690982.JPG

The amount of water flowing into that narrow canyon was two parts scary and one part intriguing. I'd love to be down there in the slot to see what it is like, except without the dying and all. At this time I'd probably recommend no one descend Kolob Creek (though I'd love to see someone try and convince the park to give them a permit).
    Canyonero and Tom Collins like this.
  2. deathtointernet

deathtointernet

P1690952.JPG

Also as long as I'm at it... this would be the crack mentioned in the recent-ish Kolob Disaster book as the last reasonable escape for the scout group. So... did someone have to use it as an escape at some point here? Or was someone trying to get down into the canyon without all that annoying "rappelling stuff" that is such a hassle? Anyone know the story behind this fixed line?
  3. Brian in SLC

Brian in SLC Brian in SLC

Wow...nice shots.

Anyone hazard a guess (or calculation) of flow? Is that 10cfs? Less? More? Hard for me to judge.

Guess I should ask my resident hydrologist...ha ha...

That said, uhh...kinda looks doable. Be interesting to see the last rappel from the bottom looking up...could someone get right on that?

Any idear what the creek by the MIA is doing?
    deathtointernet likes this.
  4. Canyon Monkey

Canyon Monkey Useful Idiot

They said they are releasing at 35 cfs. Not sure if that is a fact.
  5. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

Sounds like my wish to be up on a ledge in a canyon somewhere watching a flash flood roar through. I'd love to see one up close (and not a little one, but a huge once in a 100 years flash), but in a spot that I knew was safe. Unfortunately pulling something like that off is a risk thats not worth it.
    deathtointernet likes this.
  6. MrAdam

MrAdam

I was thinking the exact same thing. That doesnt just look doable.... that looks FUN!
  7. ratagonia

ratagonia

They do not have a gauge on the creek, so any number assigned to what they are releasing, at any level, is somebody's "eyeball estimate".

Tom
  8. Brian in SLC

Given how folks measure stream flow...a person could make a WAG...

I'm seeing a section of the creek that looks like its on average a foot deep and 3 feet wide. Appears to have a flow rate of 6 feet per second. That'd be 18cfs?

I'll need to bring in my expert.
  9. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

I wonder how this flow compares to the one that trapped the boyscouts in 1993?
  10. ratagonia

ratagonia

A. They were not Boy Scouts.

B. Here are some pictures taken by the LDS Church group leader Brewer:

1. The entry waterfall from the Alcove

Fall-Brewer.

2. The landing spot in the Alcove for the side-entry rappel.

Lookback.

Hard to say because the pictures are not 1:1, but it appears substantially higher water to me in 1993. At that time, the water table would have been high, so ground losses between the Dam and the start of the technical section would have been minimal. Now they are maximal.

Tom
  11. Brian in SLC

My hydrologist says, by eyeballin' it...could be around 25cfs. Says her estimate is typically a bit high (many years of actual field measurements).

Number of basketballs passing through a space in one second for estimate.