Send us a suggestion!

News Comet NEOWISE

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Downward Bound, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Downward Bound

Downward Bound

Not really Canyon related, but I recall Ram making similar posts.

Just got home from photographing Comet C/2020 F3 NEOWISE.
    Started around 4:00 am and finished as the sky was getting too bright from sunrise.
    It is the brightest comet in a decade, and easily visible with the naked eye or binoculars. Look in the northeast an hour or two[​IMG]
    before sunrise.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Kuenn, hank moon, Ram and 6 others like this.
  2. ratagonia

ratagonia

Awesome. Thanks Warren.

Tom
  3. Ram

Ram

Of course it is relevant. At least for those who camp, car or tent.
    More
    COMET NEOWISE HAS A SUPER-SIZED NUCLEUS: Now we know why Comet NEOWISE (C/2020 F3) is so bright. Its nucleus is huge. Researchers working with NASA's NEOWISE spacecraft have analyzed infrared emissions from the comet's core, shown here in discovery images from March 2020:

[​IMG]

The glow is proportional to the size of the nucleus--the nugget of dust and frozen gas at the heart of the comet. "From its infrared signature, we can tell that [the nucleus] is about 5 kilometers across," says Joseph Masiero, NEOWISE deputy principal investigator at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory.

"5 km is extremely large for a comet approaching this close to the sun (think Comet McNaught-sized), which explains its high activity," says Qicheng Zhang, a PhD student in planetary sciences at Caltech.

On July 3rd, Comet NEOWISE passed by the sun near the orbit of Mercury. The oversized nucleus helped it survive the encounter, which some comets would have found too hot to handle. Now NEOWISE's sun-heated core is spewing massive amounts of dust and gas, creating a worldwide sensation.

"Here is my daughter Izar ('Star' in the Basque language) pointing out the comet in the sunrise sky over Girona, Catalonia, Spain," says photographer Juan Carlos Casado. "It was easy to see with the naked eye."

[​IMG]

"Foreground lighting in the photo is natural, provided by the Moon," he adds.

For Comet NEOWISE, the future looks bright. Its large nucleus is a reservoir of dust and gas that should continue to fill the comet's double tail with visible material for weeks to come. Observing tips: Wake up about 90 minutes before sunrise, find a place with a clear horizon, and look northeast. The comet is visible to the naked eye as a fuzzy patch with a tail. Binoculars are recommended for full effect. Sky maps: July 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15.

Realtime Comet NEOWISE Photo Gallery
    Free:
    Spaceweather.com Newsletter
    John Diener likes this.
  4. Ram

Ram

Last chance for 6,800 years!:)

COMET NEOWISE IS APPROACHING EARTH:
    Tomorrow night may be your best chance to see Comet NEOWISE (C/2020 F3) for the next 6,800 years. On July 23rd, the comet makes its closest approach to Earth--only 0.63 AU (103 million km) away. It's still visible to the naked eye (barely) from dark sky sites, but will fade as it recedes after this week. Here's where to look just below the Big Dipper:

[​IMG]
    More sky maps: July 22, July 23, July 24.

If you can't see the comet naked-eye after the Thursday evening sky fades to black, try using binoculars. Even a little magnification brings NEOWISE into view.

Short exposures with digital cameras reveal the comet's magnificent double tail. Petr Horálek sends this picture from Seč lake in the Czech Republic:

[​IMG]

"I still cannot believe my eyes," says Horálek. "The comet's ion tail is truly long, extending more than 20 degrees into the bowl of the Big Dipper and beyond. When comet gets closest to Earth, the tail should be longest. Now I only hope for clear skies on July 23rd!"

For reference, Horálek's image is a stack of 11 photos--each one a 30 second exposure at ISO 1250. He used a Canon 6D digital camera with a Sigma 50mm lens (f2.2). First-time photographers should scan the Comet NEOWISE Photo Gallery. Many contributors share their photo settings in the image captions. Imitating is a good way to get started :)

And if you miss the comet ... no worries. It'll be back in 6,800 years. Sky maps: July 22, 23, 24.

Realtime Comet NEOWISE Photo Gallery
    ratagonia and Kevin like this.
  5. ratagonia

ratagonia

6. Downward Bound

Downward Bound

My brother has better equipment than I do.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk