Send us a suggestion!

Columbus Canyon (Colorado National Monument)

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Scott Patterson, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

March 10 2020

Columbus Canyon is only a few minutes from my house and since we had Monday off, it sounded like a good target for the day.

Dan Harper, Kimberly, and I met at the Lunch Loop Trailhead before leaving one car at Devils Kitchen Trailhead and one near the head of the canyon. We then walked around to the head of the canyon and down climbed in. There were some interesting downclimbs and two overhanging rappels in the sandstone section of the canyon. The second rappel was next to a big frozen waterfall. We then scrambled down canyon and found several old and smashed up cars that must have been driven or pushed off the rim, some 500 feet above.

The next section of the canyon was pretty easy until we got to the granite. Then there was some really interesting downclimbing in the granite before reaching out last rappel, which was over a frozen waterfall. This was the last major obstacle, but there were still a few downclimbs before we reached the national monument boundary. We then hiked along the boundary and back to Devils Kitchen.

Columbus Canyon lacked a slot section, but it was an interesting technical canyon and passes through many different rock layers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Dan H

Dan H FNG

24F25EEC-2D26-4017-B073-F0A3706B279B.

1EA5AC16-F7E3-4D37-82E4-5AB1FC979EB1.

A few more shots that I can’t figure out how to rotate on my ipad. Sorry.

Attached Files:

• 016B5205-B0F5-4D5F-84DA-ADE0E98B68D6.
      Filename:
      016B5205-B0F5-4D5F-84DA-ADE0E98B68D6.jpeg
      File size:
      452.7 KB
      Views:
  3. UtahNich

UtahNich

Very nice photos! I think those wider canyons with some rappels don't get as much credit as they deserve. I do like narrow slots, but I think there's something very elegant to this sort of canyon, particularly in the colder part of the year. What was the anchor situation like for the drops? It looks like there are quite a few good trees available.
    yetigonecrazy1 likes this.
  4. Dan H

Dan H FNG

Anchors were all easy. Top two mandatory raps were anchored from healthy junipers, third optional rap was a chock Stone.
    yetigonecrazy1 likes this.
  5. yetigonecrazy1

yetigonecrazy1

Agreed! They don't all have to be glamour slots. Canyoning is canyoning, are you outside? Check! Are you playing with ropes? Check! Are you with awesome people who share your interests? Check! What else do you need??
    ratagonia likes this.