Send us a suggestion!

Colorado Springs area canyoners?

Discussion in 'Meet Up' started by yetigonecrazy1, May 9, 2018.

1. yetigonecrazy1

yetigonecrazy1 yeti in the jungle

Hi all-

I will be visiting the USA for a month to see the family during the month of July. I have a canyon in mind that I don't believe to be on the radar yet, and if its possible I'd love to meet up with some folks to maybe give it a go. Ideal dates would be sometween between the 1st and the 7th of July (during the week would be better....not ideal for most, I know, sorry) or during the first week in August, Jul 30th through August 4th. I'm guessing the first half of July might be better long term call for weather than late July but will be watching as it gets closer. The canyon is about an hour from Colorado Springs drive. If you want to chat more in private feel free to PM me!
  2. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Speaking of this, does anyone know of the slot canyons on Pikes Peak? There used to be photos of them on a website, but I can't find them anymore. They looked really good.
  3. yetigonecrazy1

Which ones are you referring to, Scott? There's a handful I know of....My wife's family lives right at the base of the Peak so would love to explore the area more.
  4. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

I don't know since I have never been to them. Here's a photo in Outside Magazine from several years ago:

img_1254.

img_1253_293 (1).
  5. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

There used to be more photos on a website showing slot canyons on Pikes Peak, so apparently there are several of them.
  6. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Here is another one I could find:

6834133974_199d995f65_b.
    yetigonecrazy1 likes this.
  7. yetigonecrazy1

Interesting. I wonder if that is Hurricane Canyon? That's one I've heard about that is supposed to have some interesting boxes and features like the pictures above.
  8. yetigonecrazy1

Wow, thats a legit narrows!
  9. yetigonecrazy1

I think there are quite a few waiting to be brought to light in the Pikes Peak area....not only are there likely many more granite canyons to be found there but there's also quite a bit of sandstone in the area too.
  10. Sutitan

Sutitan

Sounds interesting. Any concern with snow melt in early July? I know snow pack is somewhat low this year, but not sure how a high flow would impact your search. I could probably do August, but I dont think im the experienced canyoneer you're looking for.
  11. yetigonecrazy1

The areas I am looking are not directly on the peak itself and have likely already been dry for a few months already. I'm not looking for super advanced partners, just anyone with a rope and a basic knowledge of how to canyon. I don't think the canyon I have in mind will be anything difficult at all.
  12. Sutitan

Sutitan

Dry months ago? Im assuming this place has to be dry mostly year round then? color me intrigued. If the July date fly's past you, let me know and id be interested in going in August.
  13. yetigonecrazy1

Definitely not possible as I am only in the USA for the month of July (see original post....)

And yes, it is in a dry area that probably does not have snow cover every single year, or has very little most years. In a low snow year like this year I would imagine it had very little snow coverage, and likely for only a short time. As I said, it is not on the main peak complex, but a ways away. It is in an area that is quite dry compared to areas around the Peak itself. There is a lot of dry country south of Co Springs....
    Last edited: May 10, 2018
  14. gajslk

gajslk

I've hiked a lot of that country and I've not run across anything more than kinda narrow and really short. But I wasn't really looking for slots. I'd be curious to see what you've found. I might be around, depending on a trip I'm planning with family. You could ping me.

Gordon
  15. yetigonecrazy1

I don't think the one I have my eye on is going to be a slot or anything, more of a narrows set in a bedrock canyon. Looks to have a few places that may need a rappel. Maybe some swimming too. So definitely worthy of canyoning but definitely no slots. As my trip gets closer I will send you a message and see where your plans are at and if you'd like to join!
  16. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Possibly. Hurricane does look interesting.

Just a guess, but I'd guess the most promising area for slots is to the south of Pikes and in the Beaver Creek and Turkey Creek drainages. That's the area that looks promising to me.
  17. gajslk

gajslk

The Beaver Creek and Phantom Canyon side drainages are where I've seen a few somewhat narrow sections. Beaver Creek itself is a cool two-day hike down a year-round stream that goes by an old power plant. It's also choked with poison ivy ...
  18. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Dang. Count me out then. I have a severe reaction to that stuff!
  19. yetigonecrazy1

I've always been intrigued about Beaver Creek after hearing the story about the kayakers that dropped in there, ran into the gnar gnar and ended up having to be heli-evac'd. John Fielder has some nice things to say about it in his "Colorado Canyons" book, and Google Earth has some excellent coverage of it and it looks like an incredible trip for sure. Haven't looked too much at Turkey Creek up close but I think I know where you would be talking about. The one I've got my eye on is still a bit further than that. It's in the complicated area of geology kind of south and west of the peak. Its interesting me not only as a potential canyoning trip, but also to suss out kayak potential. It's in the bedrock so curious to see what it looks like.

Also, I think a lot of the drainages that come off that rugged NE aspect of the Peak- French Creek, Cascade Creek, Ruxton Creek, etc- could potentially all have some kind of interesting sections in them. Some pretty huge chunks of granite in there and while some drainages will likely be more interesting than others I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of those canyons have cool stuff to see. Even Ruxton Creek just above the railroad depot and trailhead has some cool granite features visible from the cog railroad and the trails.
    Last edited: May 12, 2018
  20. yetigonecrazy1

Also, I think one could spend a day doing some "mini golf" style lines in the Pinnacle Rock to Parkdale gorge of the Arkansas River. There are a lot of small drainages that come down through the bedrock there and you could conceivably spend the day doing a handful of short, hike-up-and-rappel-down lines right above the road. Maybe not true canyoning and maybe more stunt rappelling but you would be in watercourses....