Send us a suggestion!

Other CO: "Graffiti Canyon" aka Club Gulch

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by yetigonecrazy1, Mar 8, 2020.

1. yetigonecrazy1

yetigonecrazy1

Lace Canyon wasn't the only canyon walk I did on Saturday. I also inadvertently ended up descending Club Gulch west of Delta, which I think we should call "Graffiti Canyon" from here on out, for reasons you will soon see.

[​IMG]

I was originally tipped off to this canyon by @Scott Patterson, who had looked at it years ago while in the neighborhood. While shallow and short, there is a fun section of slickrock that takes less than 20 minutes to walk all the way through. Headed to GJ to meet the guys for Lace, I was a bit early, so I originally intended to pop out to the rim of this short canyon and take a look down in. However, I got a bit off on my approach and ended up above the head of the narrows section. Figuring it would take just as much time to walk back the same way I came vs if I just descended it and hiked out, I quickly dropped down and breezed through its short narrows.

[​IMG]
    Looking into the narrows

[​IMG]
    Getting closer

[​IMG]
    Dryfalls that likely become pools after rains

[​IMG]
    Tiny potholes

[​IMG]
    More easy dryfalls

[​IMG]
    Narrows

[​IMG]
    Unexpected6:30 am canyoning has benefits

[​IMG]
    Approaching the deepest part

[​IMG]
    Pretty canyon to this point hides the disappointment just downstream

[​IMG]
    Last glance at the nice canyon upstream

The Gulch up until this point has been fun and pretty. But, below this pinch, the Gulch enters a large undercut area, and unfortunately this large alcove has been covered with graffiti, I'm guessing from the fine youth of Delta County. Its a bit of a bummer, because the alcove chamber that holds it is pretty impressive.

[​IMG]
    Graffiti Chamber

[​IMG]
    More graffiti

[​IMG]
    Graffiti

Thankfully, the canyon upstream is devoid of graffiti. Downstream the graffiti continues on the sides of the Gulch until it opens up to the floodplain of the Gunnison. I walked out through an area where deer like to nest, and found an old constructed stock road dropping down into the Gulch that I was able to use as an exit.

[​IMG]
    Looking downcanyon from the Graffiti Chamber

[​IMG]
    Looking back at the alcove

[​IMG]
    Constructed road/trail leading out of the canyon

[​IMG]
    More of the road

[​IMG]
    Looking down the Gunnison River at the end of the Gulch

Access is really easy. Take G Road west from Delta, which turns into Sawmill Mesa if you keep going straight. Just after you cross Roubideau Creek, there is a small BLM compound on the right side of the road, and then a parking lot just after labeled "BLM STATE WILDLIFE AREA - LOWER ROUBIDEAU TRACT". Park here, the canyon is 10 to 15 minute walk to the west. The enter the canyon upstream of the narrows, aim for the small hill but stay right, and you'll eventually pop out right at the top. This canyon is closed March 15th - July 31st for waterfowl management, so do it in the fall or early spring, or even winter.