Send us a suggestion!

Close call while high-stemming in Glaucoma Canyon

Discussion in 'Accidents and Near Misses' started by Austin Farnworth, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Austin Farnworth

Austin Farnworth

Near the beginning of Glaucoma there is a long down-climb with a step-across move at the bottom. The moves transitioning from the down climb to the ledge are awkward, and a fall would not be fun. In this video, Nate slips but catches himself, preventing a fall into a nasty looking pit. Not a serious event, but one that reminds us of the perils of high-stemming.
    Ram and ratagonia like this.
  2. brokedownjeep

brokedownjeep Incureable Adventurer

Jeez! As Nacho Libre says: “mucho take it easy!”
    Austin Farnworth likes this.
  3. Canyonero

Canyonero

I was with someone who fell 20+ feet from a fully bridged out position in a canyon not far from there. Luckily landed in a pothole with 5 or 6 feet of water in it.

High stemming is the equivalent of solo climbing--the leader shall not fall.
  4. Austin Farnworth

Austin Farnworth

That's a pretty scary fall, I'd be curious to find out what kind of falls people have taken while high-stemming

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk