Send us a suggestion!

News Cleanup on Aisle Lodge Canyon, Zion (9/16/2019)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ratagonia, Sep 16, 2019.

1. ratagonia

ratagonia

It would be great if someone went and removed this hanging rope. Notes:

Assuming you are familiar with the canyon, there is a two-bolt anchor about 40 feet below the step to the right onto the buttress. It seems you would just need to rap down to there and drop it... which I suspect is two ropes tied together.

(If you just happened to measure the length of what you find, that would be great).

Would be great to strip those bolts of any rigging, to make them as inconspicuous as possible. Also if you took pictures of the bolts. I am thinking they might be Royce Trappier bolts, which he stamped RT into the hangers.

Tom
  2. deathtointernet

deathtointernet

I too one day hope to be rich enough where I don't even care about leaving 500+ feet of rope in a canyon... *wistful sigh*
    NM Ben and ratagonia like this.
  3. Yellow Dart

Yellow Dart It's only hubris if I fail.

Kk. Pulled 6 for Friyay. If anyone takes care of it before then (unlikely) let me know.

Also, for the laff, the last time the crew dropped Lodge, Belay-On got shortened to 'Blon'... and it stuck.

Wayne L likes this.
  4. Yellow Dart

Sorry, double posted.
  5. CRNPRES

CRNPRES

James - if you do not pull it let me know. I will do it on Monday the 23rd if it is still there.

I had someone hike in today with binos. He believed its hanging off a two bolt anchor (if you look at other photo in "6 days, 6 canyons - Trip report"). It is looking like they continued straight down the drainage instead of exiting DCR. I am not sure the rope length to reach the top of the stuck rope. I was planning to carry a 300, a bolt kit and ascenders in case the 300 didn't make it but I think it will.

Also sounds like there is a large pile of white rope laying 10 ft or so from the anchors. Take photos of the evidence curious what happened. Might also be a stuck climbing rope DCL on the wall from someone trying to put up a new route.
    Yellow Dart likes this.
  6. Yellow Dart

Yesterday was a beautiful run through lodge; the maples in the slots are green, but on the ramp are turning their lovely reds and yellows. Also popped @MeiDayMeiDay 's canyon cherry.

Got to the 3rd to last rap (red webbing) that these days is used for the 40' drop to the buttress anchor (2nd to last rap).

Sent the group down on to the buttress, I went down the watercourse with ascenders on my Spelegyca ready to go. Arrive at the watercourse anchor, aaand nothing there; no rope, no webbing. Just two old starbolts holding two bent-sheetmetal style hangars; one of the bolts/hangars is pulled out a ways and bent 70 degrees downcanyon... at that sight I doubted anyone would have trusted them.

Peered over the edge from those bolts, nothing but air and sandstone all the way to Lodge's grotto.

All right, seems someone beat me to it. Ascend to the buttress, pitch-rap 150' to the final anchor, pitch-rap 150' to the grotto, aaand... there's the bloody rope-in-question, hanging there. :facepalm:

Tried to take a pic from there, couldn't see well where the rope was hanging from. Scrambled up the cliff behind me and got a decent pic. One is the whole un-cropped image, other is zoomed and labeled, for your convenience.

Seems there is an anchor of some sort in the clay layer about 180' off the deck.

My guess is they rapped off the 3rd-to-last above the buttress, down the watercourse, past the starbolts, into the open, ran out of rope near that clay layer, fashioned an anchor, changed stations, and finished the canyon.

I assume 200' from the red webbing would get you to the clay layer, but 250' definitely would.

So have a good Monday, @CRNPRES . I'd join you, but heading up to Cascades NP here in a few hours. If you haven't checked out the cave at the bottom of the ramp, it is totally worth the 2 minute diversion; bring a headlamp - pitch black back there at solar-noon... I did not know such slottiness existed inside the confines of Zion. Also, FWIW, from the grotto, the sun set behind the Patriarchs last night at 6:15pm. So if you want the cool selfie of your free-hanging shadow on the actively seeping wall, that's your time limit. :thumbsup: I'd do it for the 'gram, bro. :snaphappy:

Attached Files:

• IMG_20190920_1837090 - Copy.
      Filename:
      IMG_20190920_1837090 - Copy.jpg
      File size:
      1.3 MB
      Views:
    • IMG_20190920_1837090 (1).
      Filename:
      IMG_20190920_1837090 (1).jpg
      File size:
      1.6 MB
      Views:
    • 17880486_850267306056_6735315224771257534_o.
      Filename:
      17880486_850267306056_6735315224771257534_o.jpg
      File size:
      461 KB
      Views:
    MeiDayMeiDay and hank moon like this.
  7. CRNPRES

CRNPRES

Had it scheduled today but 30% chance of rain so we just scraped it. Not sure that next day that I will be able to get scheduled in there. Coworker is possibly going this week. Hoping he is willing to carry a longer rope and pull it out.
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    hank moon likes this.
  8. rawtrails

rawtrails

Realizing my friend never posted on here about sticking our 3mm dyneema pull (red) and fiddle on the last rap- was curious if anyone pulled it out and has been holding on to it for the past month. Thought I’d try w the group...

Also, has anyone pulled out that rope from the watercourse yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. CRNPRES

CRNPRES

I have not heard if it was removed. The day I planned to go was 30% chance of rain with a late start so we cancelled. I will not have any time in the next couple weeks to get in there.

Hopefully someone has time to get to it, it has been there awhile.
  10. hank moon

hank moon kinetically bulbous

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    rawtrails and ratagonia like this.
  11. CRNPRES

CRNPRES

That’s correct pulled the 8th.
    hank moon likes this.