Send us a suggestion!

Choprock water level

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by spinesnaper, Mar 1, 2018.

1. spinesnaper

spinesnaper

Is there a way to determine the water level in Choprock? I am not planning on running out there next week. I am thinking about a Spring or Fall trip out there.

Generally is there a way to know that one is likely to encounter low or high water conditions in Choprock without having a recent trip report? Any insight on this?

I did Choprock once in very low water conditions. I have to admit that I was pretty happy in those conditions and I am well aware the canyon is much more difficult in high water conditions.

Any Choprock whisperers out there who have a way of predicting the water level in this canyon?

Thanks

Ken
    Rapterman likes this.
  2. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

There are only two ways.

1. Do the canyon.
    2. Talk to someone who just did the canyon.

Those are the only two ways to know the water level. If you don't know, go prepared for the worse.

It has been a very dry winter, but sand does affect the water levels in Choprock as well.
    spinesnaper, Rapterman and ratagonia like this.
  3. spinesnaper

spinesnaper

Canyon wisdom.
  4. Jason Linder

Jason Linder

Call the local guide services in Escalante before you head that way. They'd likely have a good idea.
  5. ratagonia

ratagonia

Probably not.

Canyon water is a local phenom. We have seen Neon full and Chop low; and vice versa. Besides which the sand controls the water and the water controls the sand. It is not so much a question of how much water is in there, as it is a question as to where the sand dams have settled to in a couple of key locations.

Besides which, it does not frakin' matter what conditions are reported. Going in there, you need to be prepared for the full on death-struggle no matter what conditions are reported, because it could of changed. Anything else is foolishness!

Tom
    Jason Linder likes this.
  6. spinesnaper

spinesnaper

Tom

That is what I appreciate the most about you-so upbeat.

So I have heard of folks taking a PDF for flotation in there. I did plenty of swimming when I was in there but never needed to chimney out of any bombay water filled chimneys.

This canyon is so remote that I think I really helps to have a larger team in there-four or more.

Thanks for the input.

Ken
  7. Jason Linder

Jason Linder

20180302_014202.

I'll rephrase that... Call the local guide services in Escalante before you head that way. THEY MIGHT (but probably not) have a good idea. Besides which I read that this might minimize risk.

(Respectfully sarcastic and awaiting my forthcoming humiliation)
    spinesnaper likes this.