Send us a suggestion!

Choprock/Neon TR

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by Eric, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Eric

Eric Guest

To anyone who is interested, the ACA fourums weren't feeling the love so I wrote up a TR from our Choprock/Neon trip. Ben already posted a TR here, but if you want to hear a long winded tale of the trip from my perspective you can read it here:

http://tinyurl.com/9mn8e

Eric
  2. adkramoo

adkramoo Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Eric" <ericgodfrey@g...> wrote: > One of my favorite problems was about a 30 foot very narrow drop , >into deep water. Our friends we had been sharing the canyon with were >already working on a solution, one man was stemming his way down to >the water and the others were thinking of doing the same. Ben figured >there might be another way, and sure enough there was. Very cool, I >won't give it away (it's really not too hard to figure out) but we >found an easier, kind of secret passage feeling way into the long >watery hallway.

Nice one. I know the spot. I must credit Mike Dallin for pointing me toward it. I had walked over it for years. While you found the "Magical Mystery Passage" easier, (it usually is) sometimes it can be blocked by logs and be much harder. Quite the amazing and unique way to go. Seek it all ye pilgrims. Lovely report, Eric R
  3. tnunemac

tnunemac Guest

I love that spot, too. It's one of the coolest things I've seen yet. When we happened upon it (there was an enticing log leading down into the pothole, which we just couldn't resist), the water level was perfectly even with the bottom of the... er, feature.

Speaking of which... RAM, if the water level was perfectly even with the bottom of that feature, would you say that was that low water, then? I ask, because the alleged double ice cream scoop keeper in Neon was full to the brim that same weekend (May 2004), and having only done the technical part of SFC once, I have no comparison to tell me if we had it easy that one time or not. I expect I'll eventually head back, because SFC is a great one, but if we had it super easy the first time, I'd like to know that.

I personally found it a bit of a grunt, since I'm large enough that I had to go up and over a couple of times, while not being able to use my right arm as much as I'd liked, having stupidly popped my shoulder out (and back in) on a downclimb earlier on. It was challenging for me in those conditions, but not overwhelming (and well worth the effort!). If that was easy, though, then I don't really want to hit it when it's hard...

-Tyson

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "adkramoo" <adkramoo@a...> wrote:

> Nice one. I know the spot. I must credit Mike Dallin for pointing me > toward it. I had walked over it for years. While you found > the "Magical Mystery Passage" easier, (it usually is) sometimes it can > be blocked by logs and be much harder. Quite the amazing and unique > way to go. Seek it all ye pilgrims. > Lovely report, Eric > R
  4. adkramoo

adkramoo Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "tnunemac" <nunemach@m...> wrote:
    Speaking of which... RAM, if the water level was perfectly even with > the bottom of that feature, would you say that was that low water, > then? <snip> It was challenging for > me in those conditions, but not overwhelming (and well worth the > effort!). If that was easy, though, then I don't really want to hit > it when it's hard...

Hi Tyson

It sounds like you hit it in fairly normal conditions, perhaps tad high. The the way to tell there, is if there is any bombay on the section just beyond, above water level. No bombay and water is above normal. Problem, you are near the end of the canyon and past all but one crux in the canyon. Funny thing about Neon and Chop...as close as the canyons and their heads are to each other, you will often find different water conditions in each canyon. Storms can be remarkably localized. When the scoop pothole was dug and revealed, during the winter of 01-02, there was no recorded precip in Escalante during tht time.

Ram
  5. tnunemac

tnunemac Guest

Oh, that's where the (or "a") bombay is? Gotcha. I didn't realize it was that far downcanyon. I was picturing the subway section shortly after the riparian bit, with lots more water, for some reason. No, it was just a narrow watery corridor with straight walls when we went through, as I recall. No problem swimming it. Sounds like things were easy for us, as I suspected. Good to know.

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "adkramoo" <adkramoo@a...> wrote: > The the way to tell there, is if there is any bombay on the > section just beyond, above water level.
  6. adkramoo

adkramoo Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "tnunemac" <nunemach@m...> wrote: > Oh, that's where the (or "a") bombay is? Gotcha. I didn't realize it > was that far downcanyon. I was picturing the subway section shortly > after the riparian bit, with lots more water, for some reason. No, it > was just a narrow watery corridor with straight walls when we went > through, as I recall. No problem swimming it. Sounds like things > were easy for us, as I suspected. Good to know.

That is not the infamous bombay. One does exist in that spot, when water is low. Here is the deal. If you downclimb the slotty chimney and water is low, you get to the bombay. Oops! Deep enough to drop in the water, but poor form and a bit dangerous. As you know this is a dark corridor, so seeing anything new below water line is tricky. This spot is made easier by high water, while many places and the canyons hardest spots, are made harder by high water. The places that are hardest and where this year's trouble occured, is up canyon, but below the tight squeezes by the logs. R
  7. Tom Jones

Tom Jones Guest

Did you check out my Chopslot writeup? It has an explanation vis a vis the swimming slots, bells and water level:

http://canyoneeringusa.com/utah/esca/chop.php

Tom

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "tnunemac" <nunemach@m...> wrote: > Oh, that's where the (or "a") bombay is? Gotcha. I didn't realize it > was that far downcanyon. I was picturing the subway section shortly > after the riparian bit, with lots more water, for some reason. No, it > was just a narrow watery corridor with straight walls when we went > through, as I recall. No problem swimming it. Sounds like things > were easy for us, as I suspected. Good to know.
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "adkramoo" <adkramoo@a...> wrote:
    The the way to tell there, is if there is any bombay on the
    section just beyond, above water level.
  8. tnunemac

tnunemac Guest

Yes, I did. Good writeup, thanks. I was just trying to mesh the location with my memory of the place.

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Tom Jones" <ratagoni@x> wrote: > Did you check out my Chopslot writeup? It has an explanation vis a > vis the swimming slots, bells and water level:
    > Tom
  9. Tom Jones

Tom Jones Guest

When the water level is low, it is not obvious that these places could be trouble. This spring was my first medium-water Chopslot trip, and for the first time I grokked what Ram was talking about all this time.

Tom

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "tnunemac" <nunemach@m...> wrote: > Yes, I did. Good writeup, thanks. I was just trying to mesh the > location with my memory of the place.
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Tom Jones" <ratagoni@x> wrote:
    Did you check out my Chopslot writeup? It has an explanation vis a
    vis the swimming slots, bells and water level:

> Tom