Send us a suggestion!

Choprock, Neon questions

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by srosander01, May 22, 2017.

1. srosander01

srosander01

I'm heading out to the Escalante area this weekend to do Choprock, Neon and a couple other canyons along the Egypt bench with a couple buddies. Did anyone go down there in the last week or so that can add to the most current canyon conditions? Also, I was curious to see if anyone has an opinion on the best time of day to get photos of the Golden Cathedral rap? Any info is much appreciated!
  2. bnwilso

bnwilso

We were in Neon a week ago. Neon had plenty of water. The usual potholes weren't even discernible as potholes - maybe one had a visible lip to slide over. Several long cold swims. Water coming out of Neon downcanyon from Golden Cathedral was stagnant and unappealing. Escalante river was knee deep at the confluence. We didn't do Choprock.
    srosander01 likes this.
  3. srosander01

srosander01

Great info bnwilso, and I appreciate the response! It sounds like they are pretty full from the reports over the last month or two, so I was expecting that. Hopefully the trip lives up to the idea I've been building up in my mind over the last 6 or 7 months since we started to plan for it. Do you know what time it was when you hit the Cathedral, and do you have any pics to share that will show the light conditions at that time?
  4. ScottM

ScottM Looking for a canyon, you got one?

Pls post a TR or candition of Choprock upon your return. Safe adventures.
    dakotabelliston, srosander01 and Jman like this.
  5. bnwilso

bnwilso

Keep in mind that when we were there a week ago it was two days after an afternoon of a few showers. Neon water levels can change quite quickly so be prepared for some escapes - hopefully it won't be necessary.

We arrived at the Golden Cathedral around 2pm. Here are two pictures. One take looking into the alcove and one taken looking out of the alcove. Different photographers and different settings for sure.

Travis Golden Cathedral.JPG Bruce Golden Cathedral.JPG
  6. srosander01

srosander01

Will do, Scott. Doesn't look like there is any rain in the forecast, so I don't think that I'll have to worry about Scotty B finding his way into a Honey Bucket for a midnight snooze!! Hope all is well. We should try to get out and do some more canyons in the not-to-distant future.
    ScottM and Scott Byington like this.
  7. srosander01

srosander01

Great pics bn, and thank you for the reminder about changing conditions. We will definitely be prepared for pot-holes, should they present themselves to us. I'll make sure to post a trip report when we get back for all to see.
  8. 2065toyota

2065toyota

@srosander01 Post up when you get back. We are going the following weekend. Thanks
  9. Scott Byington

Scott Byington

Who wouldn't enjoy a good honey bucket shelter at night??? LOL, I know I have.
    srosander01 likes this.
  10. ScottM

ScottM Looking for a canyon, you got one?

LOL....didn't realize who I was talking to. Welcome to the collective. You guys have fun and we certainly do need to tag up again soon!
    dakotabelliston and srosander01 like this.
  11. Scott Byington

Scott Byington

Yes, let's plan something. Adventure (check); Canyon (check); Honey Bucket???

From personal experience 2 is a little cramped but 1 is like the Marriott.
  12. srosander01

srosander01

Hey buddy, hope all is well. I'm thinking that we'll have to do our own version of "Dave Day" like the guys who post videos on You Tube under AnthonyExpeditions (). I'm thinking we could label it "Scott's slots" :twothumbs: or something along those lines. Good times!! I'll post our trip report sometime next week when we get back for all to see.
    ScottM likes this.
  13. Luca

Luca

My group is also doing Neon and Choprock over memorial day weekend. We'll see you down there!
    srosander01 likes this.
  14. srosander01

srosander01

Sounds good, Lucas. We'll be at the neon trailhead, Friday early afternoon. Planning on Choprock Saturday, and Neon/Ringtail on Sunday. Should be a great time!
  15. Deagol

Deagol too many hobbies

There is also another large group heading to Neon this weekend........
    srosander01 likes this.
  16. srosander01

srosander01

Any idea on the group size? We will be a group of 4.
  17. srosander01

srosander01

How many in your group, Luca? We will be a group of 4. sounds like it might be a little busy down there!
  18. Deagol

Deagol too many hobbies

not sure yet, but will be there most likely Saturday
    srosander01 likes this.
  19. srosander01

srosander01

Cool. We're a pretty easy going group. We'll say hello, be of service if there is an issue, and if we're moving slower than you in the canyon, we'll let you "play through"! Weather reports look promising, so let the good times roll!
    Deagol likes this.
  20. Deagol

Deagol too many hobbies

sounds good.. hope you have fun.