Send us a suggestion!

Choprock Current Conditions

Discussion in 'Utah' started by RockGremlin, Jun 1, 2018.

1. RockGremlin

RockGremlin Dan Ransom fanboi

Any new beta for Choprock? The last Candition report was back in July of last year.

I heard reports that as recently as 2 - 3 weeks ago it was in low water conditions. But down south has been getting a lot of rain recently. Any input is appreciated as I have plans to head that way next week sometime.

Thanks guys.
  2. ratagonia

ratagonia

The canyon is much like what is described on various websites and on many trip reports, but will be somewhat different. You most likely will need to replace several anchor riggings with fresh (black) webbing. Please cut out and take out any webbing you find unsuitable. People before you will have rigged some of the anchors poorly, and/or chosen poor locations for them. Think about each anchor before you rig up to it; there may be better choices. If there are many bolted anchors in this canyon, inspect the bolts as best you can. Back up any anchor you consider suspicious. The canyon might have snow and some pools in it. They may be more full or less full than they have been in the past.
    Jason Linder and Bootboy like this.
  3. ratagonia

ratagonia

The bugs will likely be awful! Cedar Gnats away from water, and Yellow flies Near the water. Long pants recommended.

Tom
  4. RockGremlin

The canyon may have snow in it? In mid June? :cautious:

Glad you replied, Tom. I've been trying to get a hold of you about ICG gear...
  5. zhopp

zhopp

We went through on 26 May and the water level was extremely low. It was my first time through so I can't compare it to what it normally may be at this point in the year but it was obvious where the water normally is. I haven't been through it before but we didn't have wetsuits on for most of the Happy Section, and I think there was maybe three swims total in the canyon. 3mm full would have totally been fine. I haven't payed attention to the weather in that area after we left though so of course this could have changed in the last week.
    RockGremlin likes this.
  6. RockGremlin

Thank you guys so much!!

Tom thank you for that very lengthy reply. Lots of great links there. I'll definitely be making a visit to IME soon. I'll post up some pics of current canyon conditions with a TR when I get back.
  7. RockGremlin

Went and knocked out Choprock on Saturday 6/9. Temperatures were in the low 90's, but there's plenty of shade once you drop in. We started on the trail at around 6:00 am, and dropped in at around 9:15.

As others have mentioned, the canyon is mostly dry, although there is plenty of clean running water in the riparian section. There is also plenty of poison ivy everywhere. I wore long pants but everyone else wore shorts, and gingerly waded through the ivy. Amazingly nobody was really affected by it. Everybody brushed past the ivy at some point because it was unavoidable, but nobody had any rashes or sores after the fact. The start of the happy section has clean running water for a little ways - right up to the 7m Moki rappel, then it's mostly dry after that.

The grim section is as brutal as advertised. The obstacles are relentless, and it's easy to see how the difficulty increases exponentially under high water conditions. At one point we were on all fours crawling under log jams, and passing packs back and forth in order to fit through the cracks. Incredible canyon - that can easily be dangerous under the right conditions, especially if going unprepared.

The bugs really weren't all that bad. A few mosquitoes came out at night, and the horse flies would chase any exposed legs they saw, but really that was it. The cedar gnats weren't out at all.

Will post pics later...
  8. ratagonia

ratagonia

Awesome, thanks. Did you camp at Fence?
  9. RockGremlin

Yes. When we arrived on Thursday there was hardly a place to camp anywhere at the mouth of Fence. Surprisingly very crowded. But ironically it cleared out for the remainder of the weekend. We moved into one of the better camping spots in Fence and observed a few day groups walk through en route to the Golden Cathedral.
  10. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Don't be too sure-yet. Poison ivy rashes usually don't show up until days or even weeks after contact.

I do wish you luck though.
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2018