Send us a suggestion!

Choosing Canyons in the Roost

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by Forrest Kleinman, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Quick Question: We are headed to the Roost around thanksgiving to do Alcatraz and Not Bender again. We need two more days of canyons and I am looking for suggestions from people that have done many canyons in the Roost. We are experienced canyoneers, not everyone will have wetsuits, we are fine with some wading, but would like to avoid lengthy sections and chest deep water. We are not looking to do Larry again.

Trying to choose between: -Canyons in the spur area -Blue John canyons -North Fork of Robbers Roost and Main White Roost

I appreciate any feedback!
  2. RAM

RAM Guest

We just did Alcatraz last Friday. water to the knee in a few spots. Not Mindbender had a major flood back in September. Assume nothing on the anchors and expect some changes, what I can't say. If snow has fallen, the moki step exit for Not Mindbender likely won't be doable. It has a northern exposure Does anyone know how far it is to the next exit up?

The Spur canyons are very pretty and pretty easy. Chambers and Little Bull Canyon (Kelsey name) are great and good respectively and are close to each other. Both can be done in a day. They are a bit out of the way, but have lower altitudes if conditions are cold.

If you don't have very large framed folks, going down the Squeeze fork and up the Main Fork of Bluejohn is wonderful. If folks are too big for the Squeeze Fork, the East Fork is also very nice. The NFRR is a nice loop hike with some fun scrambles on the way up and out.

Please let us know what you choose to do and the conditions you found. Thanks Ram

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Forrest Kleinman" <kleinmaf@...> wrote:
    Quick Question: We are headed to the Roost around thanksgiving to do Alcatraz and Not Bender again. We need two more days of canyons and I am looking for suggestions from people that have done many canyons in the Roost. We are experienced canyoneers, not everyone will have wetsuits, we are fine with some wading, but would like to avoid lengthy sections and chest deep water. We are not looking to do Larry again.
    Trying to choose between: > -Canyons in the spur area > -Blue John canyons > -North Fork of Robbers Roost and Main White Roost
    I appreciate any feedback! >