Send us a suggestion!

Choosing a Descender

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by Helo-ops, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Helo-ops

Helo-ops

Okay,
    There is lots of post on descenders, but there is always something new.
    So here's my question I'm former military and have just got back into rappelling. I use a figure 8, but I'm looking to upgraded.
    So with that said what is the ideal descender to upgraded to??
    Thoughts or comments anyone??
    garthkevin1 likes this.
  2. hank moon

hank moon kinetically bulbous

CRITR is best bet: user-friendly, great friction options + long life. More HERE
    Ali Miller likes this.
  3. Sonny Lawrence

Sonny Lawrence

I let the mountain determine if I rappel left or right handed. Hence I prefer a symmetrical device. You get more mileage out of them as well. Simple figure eights work just fine. But I prefer a device that is attached more securely with the carabiner, i.e., a small hole. I like being able to EASILY add friction on the fly, hence some type of horn sticking out. One commercial example that I like is a CRITR. It has a Gi Gi slot that allows you to rap as though it was a tube device (e.g., ATC). I always carry a figure eight for rigging and as a backup. Many times others have lost their rap device, usually in a not-so-great location. Ram's daughter Amy celebrated her sixteenth using my wife's rap device in Heaps! So be proficient with a variety of devices.
    Jenny likes this.