Send us a suggestion!

China Town Wash above Hurricane

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gooseberry, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Gooseberry

Gooseberry

The big spill is really stunning. The Hurricane Rim Trail crosses China Town Wash just up canyon. Anybody ever done it or tried to? It looks to be possibly well over 300’. Just riding out there today and spent some time looking at it. I was curious if anybody out there knows how high it is.
  2. ratagonia

ratagonia

There seem to be quite a few potentially interesting drops over the Hurricane Cliffs (south of Frog Hollow). Anyone want to volunteer information - broadband or private?

https://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/a...anes-history-the-chinatown-wash/#.XpiGFf1KiUk

sweet little article. Does not mention WHERE it is, or provide any information like that.

Tom
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  3. Jman

Jman

It’s similar to where Three Falls “canyon” is. I’m sure someone here - Toyota? - has done it...maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. ratagonia

ratagonia

Thanks. I see it is the major canyon going into the East Fork from the Hurricane Plateau.

Tom
    Jman likes this.
  5. Yellow Dart

Yellow Dart It's only hubris if I fail.

It's in my backyard (look at it every day when I run the LV Overlook).

140-180', depending where you go off rope.

One hikes past it when on the Hurricane Canal Trail. An interesting walk; interpretive plaques here and there telling the story of the cutting of the canal - which I'm looking at right now from my home office. If you stay in the canal past where the trail ends, you end up directly above Pah Tempe hot springs. But if you stay in the canal for too long you'll run into a ton of concertina wire that the asshat Ballard's put up for no reason above their literal dumping grounds. :mad:
  6. Gooseberry

Gooseberry

7. NevadaSlots

NevadaSlots

Just did it today, dropping watercourse. If you want more beta, send me a message.
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
    Gooseberry, ratagonia and Yellow Dart like this.
  8. Gooseberry

Gooseberry

Thanks for the update.
  9. Ted

Ted

There's plenty of evidence of people who have been down varoius drops thru the Hurricane Cliffs. For me, much of the allura is the no-beta nature of the area. I will share that I started down one drainage on a 200' cord which didn't reach. I had rapped about 30' and peered over the overhanging wall below. Luckily I was able to determine that the attached rope bag was swinging in the air and not resting on the ground. For some reason my sphincter was damn tight as i jugged back up to the anchor...
    winchestertonfield and ratagonia like this.
  10. hank moon

hank moon kinetically bulbous

Limited options'll do that
  11. Yellow Dart

Yellow Dart It's only hubris if I fail.

Think I know that drop.
    It's every single inch of 210'.

Like, actual 210', not this-rope-was-210'-but-has-shrunk-the-usual-5% 210'.
    ratagonia likes this.