Send us a suggestion!

Chicken Slot (Vernal) 11/25/2017

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Scott Patterson, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

We explored the "Chicken Slot", a nameless fork of Chicken Coop Draw near Vernal today. Members were Alvaro (Badwobot on Bogley), Jeremy hlscowboy on canyoncollective), Sabrina (Jeremy's daughter), Erika (Jeremy's daughter), Jason (Jeremy's son), Kessler (my son), Kimberly (my wife), and me.

The slot didn't turn out to be a destination canyon, but it was a nice day out. Below are some photos.

DSCN7044.JPG

DSCN7014.JPG

DSCN7015.JPG

DSCN7028.JPG

DSCN7035.JPG

DSCN7080.JPG

DSCN7085.JPG

DSCN7098.JPG

DSCN7115.JPG

DSCN7125.JPG
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  2. hlscowboy

hlscowboy

Thanks again for having us along. It was a fun day.
  3. John Styrnol

John Styrnol

Scott,

Was this the canyon with that white/weird looking rock, you posted a little while back?

John
  4. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

No, this a different one.
    John Styrnol likes this.
  5. yetigonecrazy1

yetigonecrazy1 yeti in the jungle

Thanks for sharing Scott. I have looked at that drainage many times on Google Maps and thought there might be something lurking in there. Cool to see! Is this in the Nugget sandstone? Did you get a chance to peek at any other canyons in the system? I suspect there may be more to be found in that area.
  6. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Nugget, Navajo, or Glen Canyon depending on which cross section you look at. They are all basically the same.

Yes, this was the most promising drainage in the immediate vicinity, but it wasn't a classic and not a destination canyon. Alvaro compared it to Granary near Moab and I guess that would be a fair comparison, though this one is shorter. The drainage to the south has a scenic wall, but none of the other ones look promising as far as slots go.

There are some potentially really good canyons in an area to the east, but longer days would be better to check them out thoroughly. I was just too busy over the warm season. I'm guessing that those ones might be real classics if I can ever find the time and partners to do them.
  7. yetigonecrazy1

yetigonecrazy1 yeti in the jungle

I think I know which ones you are talking about. It's not for a while but before our next visit back to the USA next summer I will send you a message, if it works out I would love to go out there and explore with you!