Send us a suggestion!

Central Utah - greatest hits??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ratagonia, May 15, 2018.

1. ratagonia

ratagonia

I have a canyoneering friend coming from Costa Rica for a few days, after hitting the highlights in Zion. I have three days to show him a different kind of canyoneering. He is small, energetic and a good climber.

What canyons should we do?

Timeframe: this year, end of May.
    One-car canyons preferred, unless you would like to come along!

Ready - go!
  2. John Diener

John Diener

- a squeezy canyon, e.g. Pandora's
    - a pothole canyon, e.g. Squeeze or Quandary
    - last, maybe something classic in the Escalante region...
    ratagonia likes this.
  3. Mike Zampino

Mike Zampino Canyon season never ends.

We will be in the Roost, if you end up there (25-28). That would open up the shuttle options.

Looking at:
    -Alcatraz
    -Larry
  4. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Late May can get pretty warm. If do something with water. Zero G, Gravel, Short, Cheesebox, Boulder Creek side slots, 40 mile/Willow, Death Hollow, Sulphur Creek, Crescent Creek, Professor Creek, etc. Canyons like Pandoras Box are high enough to be a little cooler. Burro, Cottonwood, and Fivemile can be nice this time of year too. If Cable and Squeeze are still wet, they might be OK too, but if they are pretty dry, they would be hot.

Although since Tom is asking this, I'm surprised he's leaving Zion this time of year.
    hank moon likes this.
  5. ratagonia

ratagonia

Doing Imlay and Heaps in Zion. Then wanting to show him the other kind of canyons we have 'round here.

Tom
  6. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

I'm not sure which ones you have already done but Flagstaff and Vegas areas have some good canyons at this time of year. It seems that that area would be as close to Zion as some parts of Utah, so it might be worth consideration.
  7. ratagonia

ratagonia

A fine answer to a different question.
    pyle762 likes this.
  8. Southern Canyoneer

Southern Canyoneer Desert Hiker

The full Micro Death Hollow. A little bit of everything (big fluted entry, rap, super squeezy narrows, and plenty of practice at the end with deadmans, sand and water anchors ending in the lush Escalante River. Pleiades is unreal being that its higher altitude, may have to dodge cows, in an aspen grove, and a wonderful flowing short test piece with an arch at the end.
    Craig likes this.
  9. Craig

Craig Feeling My Way

Yep, Southern Canyoneer is giving good advice.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk