Send us a suggestion!

Cedar Mesa Campsites?

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by Mark, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Mark

Mark Guest

I have a small group going to Cedar Mesa to explore Cheesebox,Gravel and Fry Canyons in early May. I have never driven this stretch of 95 before and am wondering if there are any decent places to camp near these canyons, any suggestions would be great. From what I've seen using Google Earth, it looks pretty barren and exposed. Trying to find a happy medium of comfort and poximity.

Thanks in advance, Mark
  2. RAM

RAM Guest

Mile markers changed so this will be a little off, but i'm sure you can figure it out. No particular order. 1-Cheesebox Point. Approx 75 mile marker. peninsula juts out near where White and Cheese meet. Lovely vistas, exposed to the wind and some road sounds 2-77.5 mile marker (was). A road takes off up to the mesa. On the White canyon side another road takes off opposite it. Take it. Less than a tenth of a mile in is a split. Left to a gravel pit. Right winds around to near the rim of White Canyon. Lovely Pinion/Juniper, vistas, less car sound but sun leaves early 3-Fry canyon landing strip. Good sites nearby. out of the wind, mostly clear of road noise, no vistas. Turn is on the Powell side of the road from the lodge, on the White canyon side. Lots of options 4-Options by Soldier grave/Cheeseboox Road, near the road and back a few miles. Other options exist in the Gravel Road area too. Enjoy. Let us know canyon conditions please, when you get back.

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Mark" <mft73@...> wrote:
    I have a small group going to Cedar Mesa to explore Cheesebox,Gravel and Fry Canyons in early May. I have never driven this stretch of 95 before and am wondering if there are any decent places to camp near these canyons, any suggestions would be great. From what I've seen using Google Earth, it looks pretty barren and exposed. Trying to find a happy medium of comfort and poximity.
    Thanks in advance, Mark >