Send us a suggestion!

Cassy Brown Appreciation Thread.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ratagonia, Jun 6, 2021.

1. ratagonia

ratagonia

Our dear friend and bright shining light Cassy Brown took a long fall in Mystery Canyon on June 5, 2021, resulting in multiple severe injuries from which she died a couple hours later. Another thread details the accident. This thread is for remembering her as the magnificent human being she was.

I was lucky enough to have her as my main adventure partner for a couple years. That was a good run, and she was always an awesome companion. That mischievous smile always present. Or the laugh. Lots of laughs. Vast competence. Game for anything.

Here is Cassy and her Mom Lisa on rappel in Diana's Throne, last year.
    Cassy and Mom.

Cassy in Sandthrax
    Cassy Sandthrax 900.
    Zimms, Canyon Hopper, Eroni and 20 others like this.
  2. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Unfortunately, I can’t find any pictures of Cassy in my collection. But I had the privilege of getting to know Cassy when our circles overlapped for a while a few years ago. Her sense of humor is what I liked most about her. She would always pick up in the subtle jokes that went over most people’s heads. She could communicate a joke with a glance and always had a smile on her face.

Truly an expert level canyoneer and a joy to be around. She was always planning her next adventure and sharing those experiences with cherished friends, of which she had many. She lived the adventures of several lifetimes in her 26 years.

We lost a good one. Life is precious, cherish our time here together.

Taylor
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    Eroni, NevadaSlots, Steve D and 12 others like this.
  3. Ali White

Ali White

I'm heartbroken. Of all the people I've ever met, I can think of no one more full of life than she. More full of absolute joy. She was quiet then she'd yell out her excitement for the places she traveled through, the places she loved. She'd run through canyons with arms spread wide. I called her my enthusiasm translator, so aptly expressing what I couldn't. She was one of the most competent canyoneers I knew. I was so impressed with her dedicated pursuit of a greater backcountry skillset. She deliberately, consciously became a better canyoneer by continually trying hard things. She spoke in her own contagious language, was so bubbly, was so damn vivacious. So lively. So animated. A kind soul I'm proud to call a friend, to have learned from, to have experienced joy in beautiful places with. I'll miss her terribly.

Attached Files:

• IMG-1092.JPG
      Filename:
      IMG-1092.JPG
      File size:
      1.8 MB
      Views:
    Eroni, NevadaSlots, Steve D and 16 others like this.
  4. Wayne L

Wayne L

Tom, I'm so sorry to hear about Cassy. I met her when you were doing Diana's Throne with them. I joked with her about her rope bag because it was so worn out. She had a very good sense on humor. It breaks my heart to see this happen.
    Bill, NevadaSlots, Steve D and 6 others like this.
  5. Ali White

Ali White

That red leprechaun of hers might be the most well-used piece of canyoneering gear of all time.
  6. ratagonia

ratagonia

Hi Tom,

Just read your post about Cassy.
    We are gutted, although only being in town for a few weeks Cassy filled our days with as many Canyons as she could and when she couldn’t come along (work) she would make sure we had everything we needed to go and enjoy one ourselves. She became a great friend to Megan and I and we always spoke of her coming to Australia to canyon with us here. A more competent canyoneer we’ve never met, but the jokes and the fun had during the canyons is what makes true friends.

Despite this tragedy, we feel so lucky to have been able to spend the time with her we did. Thank you so much for connecting us. You obviously knew what an amazingly generous and magnanimous person she was and can’t even imagine what you and the canyon community there are going through. Please know we are thinking of you all. We are so so sorry that this terrible tragedy has happened.

Stay strong,
    Megan and Jarrah

Cassy w Jarra and Megan.
    Eroni, NevadaSlots, Stevee B and 10 others like this.
  7. Bill

Bill ...

8. nathanslc

nathanslc

Cassy and the Gnome 2021 20210607_100619.

Attached Files:

• 20210607_100619.
      Filename:
      20210607_100619.jpg
      File size:
      312.3 KB
      Views:
    Eroni, Bill, NevadaSlots and 10 others like this.
  9. Jenny

Jenny

When my daughter (also named Cassidy) came from CAN for a desert adventure, I considered who would add the most fun to our days. I am 40 yrs their senior and they just a few years apart. Cassy was the clear choice and the age differences disappeared (as was her way). I can't begin to describe the energy she brought to everything.

This tragedy! My goodness it takes ones breath away, doesn't it?
    To move from shock, grief, and sadness to numbness is a natural progression. The reality of this bright light going out will settle in as the natural course of our lives moves on.

However, right now, I share with all of you the gratitude that Cassy's broad ripple passed over us. Too brief in its passing but rich and memorable beyond compare.

You will not be forgotten dear, sweet, crazy, fun, curious, beautiful Cassy Brown.

Cassy FF. Cassy in the Damm2. Cassy in the Damm.
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    Eroni, Bill, NevadaSlots and 15 others like this.
  10. Averianne Ward

Averianne Ward

I knew Cassy from High School. We played soccer together. She was my captain. She had such fierce confidence without being cocky and was always willing to help others. She pulled me under her wing and taught me not only about soccer, but began my life as a canyoneer. She taught me how to canyoneer. She taught my dad. She taught my brother. She was always so safe. Double checking everything and making sure she had safeties in place for the unpredictabilities of the canyons. She was always making jokes, always had a smile. She was so knowledgeable and wanted to share her knowledge and light with everyone around her. She was my hero.

DSCF0935. DSCF0654.

I will always miss you, Cassy.
    Eroni, Bill, Jenny and 15 others like this.
  11. cboswel1

cboswel1

I instinctively came back to this forum when I received the news Saturday evening of Cassy's accident, because I knew how deep her roots flowed throughout this community. I've been looking at all these pictures for a few days while trying to digest what's happened. The elation and positive energy radiating from every photo is a testament to Cassy and her relationship with the canyons, she was at home within their walls.

The previous 6 years I worked and at some points lived with Cassy, while working as a Guide at Zion Adventure Company. Cassy was a badass. She put to shame the adventure resume of most of the guides in town, including myself. The minor inconvenience of all the times she was late to work because she was busting out a full day canyon in a hand full of hours are now forever etched in my mind as an indelible reflection of her view on life; that work is ok, but kind of bullshit, and that the experience of living your life glass half full should be priority. I envy that.

I was never extremely close with Cassy, but I shared moments with her that will forever stick with me. Her explaining in raw, emotional detail, being stuck in Birch Hollow during a flash flood with her family, her dedication to keeping them safe in the moment, while also having the maturity to reflect on and learn from that experience...to sit in a room full of your peers and be vulnerable, in such a hyper masculine environment where guides often hide their faults for fear of judgement, takes a special kind of person. From that day on I realized any misgivings I had had about Cassy were bullshit. She gave a shit, and probably more so than many others who walked through the door.

I also knew that she loved her family dearly. I would see them in the shop frequently and wonder what epic adventure she was roping them into this time. Cassy was probably one of a handful of people I ever met who didn't groan at the thought of taking their family into the park. The X-rated running, Heap ghosting, suffer fest queen is taking her family through Diana's Throne on her day off. Again, what a badass.

I worked several canyons with Cassy, and as the years went by, desired to see her become a guide. Cassy was as technically adept as they come, but I remember we shared a common flaw that we often discussed and laughed over while debriefing. We were both weird as hell and had to find ways to manage that around an array of people from across the world, or we'd probably lose our jobs. I loved Cassy's weirdness, and truly admired her ability to embrace that side of herself without shame or fear of judgement.

Cassy was the forever optimist. As a mostly pessimistic asshole, I will always be envious of her ability to see the best of nearly any situation. While people were complaining about work, she was often trying to figure out the next bizarre meme she could make the background of the work computer. That's just who she was, and that's why she was awesome.
    zahut, Eroni, Bill and 18 others like this.
  12. ratagonia

ratagonia

Well spoke, Christian. Thanks.
    Eroni, Bill, Jenny and 3 others like this.
  13. Kuenn

Kuenn

As if the ceasing of a solitary exquisite melody...

The news you hope never to hear. You don't want to believe it when you hear it. Not to anyone. At any time. And especially not to someone near and dear. Alas, in this adventurous pursuit, we cannot be blind to it.

My deepest and heartfelt condolences to her family. And to her friends (of which I consider myself one, however our paths crossed only a few special times).

Cassy was the type of person you just enjoyed being around. Full of life, as many have said. Unbridled energy and enthusiasm. Not a word of criticism or judgement, when I was around her. The kind of traits you want to emulate and hope others find in you.

The memory that quickly and most often comes to mind is sharing an almost surreal experience a few years back on a twilight trip to the Great Arch (East tunnel). Her 'take no prisoners' attitude was at full tilt that evening. She was and is amazing!

Memories that will last a lifetime and more. With the hope that our remembrance, spoken and unspoken, may reach her where she is.

God speed, dear Cassy, on your next journey.

PA210034-COLLAGE.
    Ram, Eroni, Bill and 9 others like this.
  14. Collin W. Clayton

Collin W. Clayton

I worked with Cassy over the last four months as an outfitter at Zion Adventures, and in that short span of time, she left an incredibly profound and lasting impression on my life. Early on, I heard a lot of exciting stories about her daring canyon adventures, and to me, it felt like I was working with an absolute rock star. I really admired Cassy for her strength of character, her warmth and openness toward others, and her dedication to the things she loved. Despite her clout in the community, she always made a point to greet me with enthusiasm and ask how I was doing as a new member of the team.

In late April, I was incredibly privelaged to do a half day run through lodge canyon with Cassy and a couple good friends. I'll never forget watching her pull the biggest booger I've ever seen in my life from her nose as we waited for the bus back to town. She looked at me with a goofy smile as she held the footlong stream of green slime in front of her face. I didn't detect a single hint of shame or remorse in her eye, and from that moment on, I knew she was a bad one.

My condolences to her closest friends and family. I can only imagine the depth of your loss. Cassy was an absolute legend, and I suspect the warmth of her memory will impact this community at every level for many years to come.
    Ram, Kuenn, Eroni and 6 others like this.
  15. NevadaSlots

NevadaSlots

I knew Cassy for just a short time, and really only got to know her superficially. I never took the initiative to go canyoneering with her despite having many opportunities presented to me, this I truly regret. Despite this, her acquaintance was a true pleasure, and not having her in the canyon community leaves an unfillable hole. She always had a very thought-provoking response to any query. She left an impression. She took the time to listen and she took the time to explain in detail. Even though she was way more skilled and wise than I, she never displayed a hint of belittlement. I'm sure she's looking down on us whilst listening to some Steely Dan, smile as wide as ever. Thank you Cassy for your great life, one worth emulating, we love you.
    Ram, Eroni, Bill and 5 others like this.
  16. Kate Woods

Kate Woods Kate Duffy

I feel such a vacuum of sass and spice left by Cassy, I know we all do.

Something that hit me from the minute I met Cass was her ability to 'hold her own' with the boys. This rare and awesome talent -her comfortability in her own skin, and refusal to apologize for being wacky and amazing- made her one of my very favorite people to get in a tight spot with. I loved her flow of hilarious jokes and digs while crushing canyons in total 'boss-mode' without a blink. She was one of a kind.

I spent yesterday thinking about how I could honor and grieve Cassy and here's what came to me: a badass gals trip. Sara, Tre C, Ali, (more), you in? It seems like the only sensible thing to do: go out there and crush it like the boss-babe that Cass was. With a few tears of course :(

Hugs to all,
    Kate
    P.S. Photos are not mine, but a series of awesome tagged ones from Aaron and Mike. Thanks fellas for capturing her awesome spirit.

46131297_10218215407915844_4757283163493892096_n. 46221921_10218215399995646_312557646441873408_n. 46144301_10218215409915894_6496060751558475776_n. 46488500_10155502358712396_6077325680993894400_n.
    Ram, Zimms, Kuenn and 8 others like this.
  17. Ali White

Ali White

I'm In!
    Kate Woods likes this.
  18. John Diener

John Diener

Any time you were on a trip with Cassy you could expect plenty of competence and loads of fun. Getting savage while high stemming, canyon jingles, a cheery disposition in gnar conditions, much more... I lack words to properly describe the loss.

DSCF5678.JPG
    DSCF3180.JPG
    DSCF5496.JPG
    DSCF3365.JPG
    DSCF2664.JPG
    DSCF5799.JPG
    Ram, Zimms, Kuenn and 7 others like this.
  19. Morgerator

Morgerator

Kate, let's make it happen.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2021
  20. Morgerator

Morgerator

Cassy was the kind of lady you wanted to be with on any adventure, be it a canyon, a backpack, broating or sharing a meal outside a planned event.
    She always made me feel welcome, her weirdness complemented mine (we loved to laugh about that).

She made my life better. Our friendship meant so much to me. My broatmate, my canyon bud, my friend. "Bless".
    So much love for you, Cassy.

Always a big smile, my biggest cheerleader. She took me on my first 4B canyon and my first R. Always made me welcome and included me.
    She was an amazing mentor who brought me along on difficult canyons when I doubted myself.

"You can do it, dude.. I am right here". ❤
    I believed her, she believed in me and I did it.

A huge piece of my heart is broken. I will live the most out loud I can because of her. She will be massively missed.

I promise to take your memory and your belief in me on every river, every backpack and every adventure I go on.

Love you Cas

Attached Files:

• 1 .
      Filename:
      1 .jpg
      File size:
      38 KB
      Views:
      Filename:
      2.jpg
      File size:
      102.7 KB
      Views:
      Filename:
      3.jpg
      File size:
      40.9 KB
      Views:
      Filename:
      4.jpg
      File size:
      23.5 KB
      Views:
      Filename:
      5.jpg
      File size:
      23 KB
      Views:
      Filename:
      6.jpg
      File size:
      32 KB
      Views:
      Filename:
      7.jpg
      File size:
      22.2 KB
      Views:
      Filename:
      8.jpg
      File size:
      28.5 KB
      Views:
      Filename:
      9.jpg
      File size:
      36.2 KB
      Views:
    Ram, Kuenn, Eroni and 8 others like this.