Send us a suggestion!

UT: Capitol Reef Cassidy arch

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Craigcrow, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Craigcrow

Craigcrow

Just went through Cassidy arch and noticed the hanger on the right bolt on the 1st rappel is kinda loose, descend at your own discretion, I went through the north variation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. ratagonia

ratagonia

By the "North Variation", do you mean by the route where you rappel next to Cassidy Arch?

Tom
  3. Craigcrow

Craigcrow

I meant I went down that little side canyon that intersects with the trail a few hundred yards back from the arch towards the trailhead and which drops into the main canyon right before the rappel through the arch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. ratagonia

ratagonia

Thank you for the heads up. I'm not sure that canyon has been tagged with a name yet - perhaps "Sundance" would be a good name for it.

Tom
  5. bnwilso

bnwilso

Thank you for the heads up. I'm not sure that canyon has been tagged with a name yet - perhaps "Sundance" would be a good name for it.

Tom

It does have a name. It's Cassidy's Armpit. The name is entirely related to it's location and not indicative of the quality of the canyon - it's actually a good one with a backcountry feel and a way to avoid the chaos often occurring in upper Cassidy Arch Canyon.
    ratagonia and Craigcrow like this.
  6. ratagonia

ratagonia

Awesome... though, that is kind of a stinky name...

Tom
  7. Ram

Ram

Not anymore...or for long anyway. Just sayin....

My opinion of the canyon? The canyon is chossy with big loose blocks. Brushy, with awkward chimney downclimbs in its first half. Then improves a bit in the middle, with a quite nice final rap. Inferior product to the main fork, says I. Also copious amounts of poison ivy. Again, just sayin
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    hank moon and Tirrus like this.
  8. bnwilso

bnwilso

Chossy, brushy, awkward, poison ivy - yeah, just like I said, it has a real backcountry feel. You did forget to mention the birth canal rappel/downclimb that has wedged at least one person in so tightly that a rescue was required. Inferior to the main fork? Of course. It's even inferior to most of the other options in the area. With a name like armpit, what more needs to be said? Just sayin.
    ratagonia likes this.