Send us a suggestion!

Cassidy Arch near miss

Discussion in 'Accidents and Near Misses' started by Tirrus, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Tirrus

Tirrus Rope rider.

2. ratagonia

ratagonia

Nice save.

Canadian? Is that why one of you was carrying a hockey stick?

The real question that comes to mind is, why did the rope get dropped?

Tom
    inventme likes this.
  3. Tirrus

Tirrus Rope rider.

Not sure about how the hockey stick. It kind of looked like it had a GoPro on the end of it. Just found this video posted up on YouTube a couple days back.
  4. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

5. ratagonia

ratagonia

Ah. I guess I made the assumption it was your vid.

T
  6. ScottM

ScottM Looking for a canyon, you got one?

"We just found this really nice 9.6 canyoneering rope, it's going to get us out of the rest of the canyon without having any other issues".

Assume this was the aforementioned dropped rope, and not something they just happened to stumble upon?

This video almost appears satirical to me.
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    Rapterman likes this.
  7. ratagonia

ratagonia

That rap is 150', so it seems hard to cobble together a smorgascord to get down there. But, can downclimb half of it. But, from where the video was shot, it is even LONGER to get down. Maybe the dropped rope did not go all the way down...

Anyway, I took that comment as a bit of humor.

T
    inventme and Rapterman like this.
  8. TJ Cottam

TJ Cottam Adventure Plus

Tom, I thought you were more well informed. Everyone knows a hockey stick is the new fiddlestick.
    Rapterman and AW~ like this.
  9. Kuenn

Kuenn

"We kinda dropped the rope." Interesting choice of words. So what exactly does "kinda" mean and how did that conversation play out.

Since it wasn't disclosed, maybe the narrative went something like this. (just fun'n)

P1: Can I rig the rope on the next drop? Can I? Can I? Pleeeze?
    P2: OK (hands rope bag to P1)
    P2: We will be using the throw and go method on this one.
    P1: Oh fun! How does that work?
    P2: Well basically you toss the rope bag down the slot....
    P1: WEEE!!!
    P2: ...the rope w i l l p l a y o u t o f t h e . . . nevermind.​

As for the hockey stick... now that's just cool. You never know when you might need to "check" one of your partners. Gives a whole new meaning to safety check. "Now how many times do I have to tell you Roy (pronounced Wah) to LOCK your biner!! Where's my stick, it's time for a safety check."

Now, if for a helmet they would have had a goalie's mask... TOTALLY AWESOME!

Attached Files:

• Piggy.
      Filename:
      Piggy.jpg
      File size:
      65.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    Tom Collins, Rapterman and ScottM like this.
  10. Sandstone Addiction

Sandstone Addiction Headed South

I wonder if the shape of that rope bag, being round, had anything to do with them losing it. Can certainly imagine something like that easily rolling off the edge if not securely placed.
  11. Kuenn

Kuenn

Yes. Especially when you consider the approach to the 2nd rappel anchor in Cassidy. Just another of the many reasons to secure stuff to your person... if you go unexpected, it goes with you, or so to speak.
    Sandstone Addiction likes this.
  12. Mountain Boy

Mountain Boy

We dropped the rope... Believe it or not, the rope was dropped due to an equipment malfunction rather than the assumed idiocy of an individual. We creative the video as a dramatization of the event in an attempt to drive conversation and remind adventures that shit happens. I created, edited/rendered the film as a story not a documentary or how-to self-rescue. The rope that we found at the bottom was ours. It feels amazing when your team can work through issues and evaluate risk to self-rescue... totally worth a laugh. The "hockey stick" is a camera jib for a GoPro. A jib is like a giant selfie-stick and allow you to makes some interesting shots. In the end, we are glad that we were able to be self-sufficient and share our story. I hope that your skill-set does not blind you to the fact that on a long enough timeline even the most hard hero will have to self-rescue/get rescued... Don't drop the rope.
    dakotabelliston likes this.
  13. ratagonia

ratagonia

Thanks for joining CC and engaging in this discussion. Especially pertinent with a few recent discussions (here and elsewhere) about using a pull cord.

I realize the hockey stick was a selfie jib... just trying to be funny. :) and I appreciate that the video was a dramatic narrative, rather than a boring documentary, and yes, it can stimulate useful conversation.

You leave me with many questions:

1. Did you have just one real rope and one pull cord?

(If you have two real ropes, then dropping the rope is a minor inconvenience rather than "news".)

2. Could you explain the equipment failure a little more?

3. I fail to see the difference between having a critical equipment failure and being an idiot. Is there a difference?

(I have had critical equipment failures in the field, but they were almost always because someone was being an idiot, often me. The piece of critical equipment that fails being the grey goo between my ears.)

Thanks.

Tom
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    Dave Melton likes this.
  14. Mountain Boy

Mountain Boy

We had one 60 meter "real rope" and one pull cord. After the rope drop we quickly discovered that a pull was a bad choice. In the future, we will always carry a "full" second rope. The "On Rope" rope bag has a shoulder strap had plastic buckles, one of which failed causing the rope to drop. We have modified the bag and will not have this issue again. Regarding the term idiot, our team feels that judgmental titles makes the team weak and degrades the experience... After working through the issue that was plenty of shit given to the dropper of the rope (though a buckle failure could have happened to any of us).
    dakotabelliston and Dave Melton like this.
  15. ratagonia

ratagonia

Certainly judgmental titles IN THE FIELD do not contribute to the quality of the experience.

T
    dakotabelliston likes this.
  16. Tirrus

Tirrus Rope rider.

Quick clarifying question. It looks like from the video you guys used a log jam directly at the bottom of the first rappel as an anchor to get down to the shelf halfway down the second rappel. Why not just use the bolts? Did you build an anchor on the shelf, or lower all the way to the ground from the log anchor?
  17. Mountain Boy

Mountain Boy

Since we had to build a "rope" and desend to a half way point we body belayed with meat to eliminate the knot pass for a majority of the team. Additionally, the bolted anchors are not aligned with our target and the "rope" would not reach the bottom of the rappel.
    Rapterman and ratagonia like this.
  18. Sassafras

Sassafras

I find myself perplexed by this canyon conundrum and ensuing conversation. Having completed this fabled Cassidy Arch Canyon a number of times, I'm curious what your mysterious target was that didn't align with the bolts at the second rappel. Was the rope gravitating in mid-air 100 feet from the canyon wall? Firstly, the bolts are perfectly aligned with the bottom of the rappel... could you imagine? The bottom of the rappel from the bolts is approximately 140 feet... if you add a 30 meter rope to a 30ft rope to 25ft of webbing to a 96" runner, you have approximately 19 feet to spare to the bottom of the second rappel from the bolts - but alas, the bugger just wouldn't reach! Secondly, one rappel down is not the middle. Thirdly, I don't know what is going on in that section of the video where the wizard is talking about finding that rope (clearly this legendary hockey stick is actually a wizard staff), but it does look absolutely brand new. I can't believe that 9.6 canyoneering rope took the responsibility of getting these folks out of this canyon all on it's very own, how I long for the day my rope just rigs itself, gently coiling itself into a dainty triple clove hitch around a 'biner and lowering me to the ground while I nap... wake me when somebody figures out what exactly happened here and why the math seems so wonky. #fiddlestick
    Tirrus likes this.
  19. Mountain Boy

Mountain Boy

I recommend watching the video a few more times.
    ratagonia likes this.
  20. Lance Popeye Pooler

Lance Popeye Pooler

It is amazing that you're so self righteous in your deduction of our Canyon experience based solely on the video. If I was to use the same reasoning what could I deduct off of your profile pic? I won't bore you with the narrative of my deduction.
    I was going to walk you through the entire event, but I feel your snide reply doesn't warrant any justification. Hopefully your skill-set forwards you the wizardly ability to self rescue and any situation you may find yourself in.