Send us a suggestion!

UT: Capitol Reef Cassidy Arch Canyon

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by canyongoat, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Sandstone Addiction

Sandstone Addiction Headed South

Guides make a living from customers willing to pay to have a great day. I can totally understand why they would be defensive and want to set the facts straight to protect their livelihood.

Anyhow, lots of people out enjoying the outdoors these days in the popular spots. I've found that if I assume there will be others ahead of me and plan accordingly (i.e. have patience, enjoy the scenery, etc.), I seem to have a more positive experience all around.
  2. canyongoat

canyongoat

Yeah, I was SUPER reluctant to go last minute for all those reasons. I just didn't realize just how crowded it was going to be. The canyon was beautiful though and I'm still glad I went.
  3. ratagonia

ratagonia

Certainly, @canyongoat , the dialogue can appear harsh. And certainly at times it slips over into BEING harsh.

The goal is for the dialogue to be rigorous and fact-based.

Thank you for bringing these points to everyone (here)'s attention. And just so you know the context, there are other discussions taking place elsewhere on the Interwebs (canyoneering division) that are very very harsh, entirely based on innuendo and misdirection, and totally deflecting requests for rigor.

Tom
    Jman likes this.
  4. Kid Feral

Kid Feral

No worries man. It's over. I get annoyed too. But you gotta be a bit careful about starting comment board brushfires. And this message board does tend to go off occasionally. One reason I don't log in much myself. Cheers.
    hank moon, ratagonia and canyongoat like this.
  5. Deagol

Deagol too many hobbies

PM sent
  6. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

These three are outside the park boundary, any idea why they are included in the use plan? And since they are outside the park can they actually enforce the size limit?
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  7. CRNPRES

CRNPRES

Approaching through Halls TH (not likely) or the Airport Route for sure they can regulate is and enforce it.

If you are approaching from Glen Canyon entirely (more common now), you may want to speak with a GLCA and/or CARE LE Ranger. If there is an agreement with GLCA and CARE to regulate the area then it can be enforced by any NPS LE Ranger. Since both are NPS sites.
  8. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

I thought that at least some part of the technical section had to be in the park for it to fall in the their jursidiction, not just the approach hike. CR NP allows larger groups of hikers, and anywhere you would want to camp for those 3 would put you outside the park once you had done the approach so that shouldn't affect the ruling either I would think.
  9. yetigonecrazy1

yetigonecrazy1 yeti in the jungle

brush fires are ok, as long as the censorship doesnt go too bad, like it is on some FB canyoneering groups....
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  10. CRNPRES

CRNPRES

It’s in the jursidictikn of the National Park Service. They are both National Park Service sites that border each other. I do not know but I am assuming they talked to each other when this was put into place.