Send us a suggestion!

Car breakdown options

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by Rdunn, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Rdunn

Rdunn

Hi everyone,

Heading to 150 mile canyon in a couple weeks and wanted to get some opinions. I'll be driving an older 4x4 pickup and am concerned that I would be screwed if it were to break down on the dirt road. I know it's a rough one to 150 mile. What is the best option for this scenario? Would hate to call sheriff's department and doubt they would tow me back to pavement anyway. Anyone know of any towing companies that operate out that way?

Thanks all,

Ryan
  2. ratagonia

ratagonia

Two spare tires, and a week's worth of food, water and stove fuel in the car.

There are towing companies available. They are very proud of their work.

Tom
  3. Rdunn

Rdunn

I'll throw some beer in there for good measure. Can never be too careful.

Thanks Tom, I'll look into it. I'm sure they aren't cheap but it's better than walking.
  4. deathtointernet

deathtointernet

Tony Judd operates a towing service out of his gas station in Fredonia and is willing and able to retrieve cars from the backroads in that area (ask me how I know, haha!). He's a very friendly guy who knows the area well. That said, I will caution that towing fees that far out from pavement can be enormous. I would anticipate at least $1000. Can be more.
  5. 2065toyota

2065toyota

Tool bag. Plug repair kit. Small compressor. Duct tap. Bailing wire. Radiator hose repair kit. Jumper cables. Welding rods. Never go anywhere without it. Backcountry roads should have the same attitude as backcountry hiking/ canyoneering. Self rescue and self reliance should be your #1 resource.
    Sandstoned likes this.
  6. pyle762

pyle762

Welding Rods?...do you MacGyver a welder out there somehow?
  7. NevadaSlots

NevadaSlots

[​IMG]
    You don't even need welding rods according to Mr. Macgyver... just a quarter and some jumper cables
  8. 2065toyota

2065toyota

If you want a terrible weld that won't hold anything together you can use quarters. Jumper cables and car batteries. With welding rods it will burn a weld in hotter than the welder at your house. Weve fixed our own stuff and saved a lot of stranded people over the years.