Send us a suggestion!

Capitol Reef this week-end

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nan, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Nan

Nan

Just wondering if anyone has information on conditions in Cassidy Arch and perhaps, Wife 3 for this week-end. Most of what I've seen suggest dry conditions, though most of what I've found has been from the last half of March in previous years. Temperatures are increasing for the week-end, and it doesn't look like there is much impact from this storm.

Any thoughts?
  2. ratagonia

ratagonia

Snowed in Mt Carmel (5000 feet) last night maybe an inch. It all burned off by noon, sorta. Snow on the mountain behind the house (800 feet higher). 43 deg F here at 3 pm. So not hot enough to blow the snow away, but not cold.

This coming weekend, I would expect Cassidy to be fine, sunny hike up, but cold once within the confines of the canyon. I would not expect snow to complicate the descent.

The wives are tighter, but also I think would not be complicated by the snow.

My best guess.

T
  3. Nan

Nan

Appreciate your best guess! We'll check it out!
  4. bnwilso

bnwilso

Tom's guess sounds about right. I would be surprised if snow is an issue in either. Do watch out for patchy ice on the ledgy walk out to the second anchor in Cassidy. It is exposed to the sun but overnight lows are still well below freezing and it's a sketchy walk when ice is present. There is a pretty obvious way to belay the first person to the anchor and set up a retrievable safety line for others. Please come back and post what you find out. I plan on being there in a couple of weeks.
    ScottM, Deagol and ratagonia like this.
  5. Nan

Nan

We had a great week-end in Capitol Reef! It was dry in both Cassidy Arch and Wife 3. Little chilly in the canyons, especially as we slowed to replace webbing on a couple of anchors, but having layers available made it doable. Rap 2 in Cassidy needs cleaning up from excess unequalized webbing added to the original that is showing some wear. And the webbing on the 1st anchor in Wife 3 looked a bit sketchy; we used a rope instead and retrieved it. Certainly enjoyed the quiet of early season and hiking temperatures were perfect. The lows temps on Thurs eve (16 degrees) meant slower starts to the day, but temps warmed nicely through Sat.