Send us a suggestion!

Capitol Reef NP Pilot Canyoneering Permit System

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Capitol Reef NP, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Capitol Reef NP

Capitol Reef NP

Date: December 16, 2019

Capitol Reef National Park will begin a pilot mandatory Canyoneering Permit System starting January 1, 2020. Permits will be free of charge and require self-registration located at the Capitol Reef National Park Visitor Center or online on the park website. These permits will be required for all canyoneering and climbing activities within the park.

Capitol Reef National Park staff have observed a substantial increase in canyoneering and rock climbing activities in the park in the past 10 years. The pilot permit system will allow managers to track use and determine levels and locations of activity. Regulations are listed on the permit and on the park website. No personal information is required and there is no limit to the number of permits given.

Capitol Reef manages backcountry camping with a similar permit system. Permits are free of charge and while there are limits to the number of people in a group, there are no limits to the number of permits given at this time. Backcountry permits are still issued at the visitor center, not online.

These efforts help park managers understand visitor use and recreation and the impacts to park resources, which provides valuable information when making management decisions to preserve and protect Capitol Reef. Canyoneering and rock climbing are inherently dangerous recreational activities and visitors should exercise caution and prepare accordingly. The park does not provide assistance or information regarding canyoneering or climbing routes, or preparation, so please plan ahead.

To acquire a permit, visitors can either fill one out in person at the Visitor Center or do so online at the park website https://www.nps.gov/care/planyourvisit. To learn more about Capitol Reef National Park visit www.nps.gov/care or contact the park at 435-425-3791.
    Jake Freimanis, Eroni, Ram and 3 others like this.
  2. Zach Olson

Zach Olson

Awesome.

Hey Tom any way to pin this information somewhere more prominently on the site for a while to help get the word out? These sort of press releases tend to get buried in the forum.
    Jenny likes this.
  3. ratagonia

ratagonia

Not my monkey. I will ask. Better yet would be to request buy in from the beta providers... I am thinking Road Trip Ryan and Luuuuke are the two main sources for Cassidy Arch Canyon and other Cap Reef extravaganzas.

I have made the request to them.

Tom
  4. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Climb-utah has Cassidy Arch Canyon as well.
  5. ratagonia

ratagonia

Does ANYONE go there anymore, to Climb-Utah?

I know no one does Cassidy Arch Canyon these days. It is too crowded!

T
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  6. Jenny

Jenny

Of course Cassidy (my daughter) and I occasionally go back to her Canyon! And ALWAYS take lollipops.
    Doesn't everyone?

cassidy @ c arch th.

C as older at c arch.JPG
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  7. Rick Demarest

Rick Demarest

I may be mistaken, but I don't think there's a pin feature. Baring that the best way is to comment occasionally as everyone has been doing. Next would be for someone to just do a bump. Any time either of these happen, it goes to the top of 'Recent Threads'.
    ratagonia likes this.
  8. yetigonecrazy1

yetigonecrazy1

We stopped paying for our membership after realizing what kind of person the sites curator and founder really is..... Can think of much better people to give my money to. Also why I am forever thankful for CC, so I don't have to waste my time with the silly little boys club that is the other website for canyoning.....
    Bootboy likes this.
  9. stefan

stefan wandering utahn

would a sticky thread be appropriate (e.g., custodianeering)?
    Ram likes this.
  10. Rick Demarest

Rick Demarest

That would pin it to the top of the 'General Discussion' category, but won't keep it current in the 'Recent Threads' list. I'm not sure how many forum users look at the category lists, rather than just look at the Recent Threads list. Probably best to do both. If there's enough interest, it might be worth adding a new category for 'Permit Information/Updates'.
    stefan and ratagonia like this.
  11. Capitol Reef NP

Capitol Reef NP

Below are some recent updates to the canyoneering regulations at Capitol Reef National Park:

For the protection of park resources, canyoneering groups are limited to a maximum of eight people, with some exceptions for certain routes near the Fruita area. Ask at the visitor center for details. Capitol Reef is a clean canyoneering area. Minimum impact techniques that do not damage or destroy rock or other park resources are required:

• Canyoneering groups are limited to 12 persons per group in the following technical canyons:
    Cassidy Arch Canyon • Na-Gah• Arch Nemesis • Beaver Bay• Old School • Wives: 1,2,3,4,5 & 6
    •The installation of new fixed anchors (bolts, pitons, etc.) is prohibited.
    • Bolts may be replaced only if an existing bolt is unsafe.
    • The use of power drills is prohibited.
    • Where it is necessary to leave or replace existing webbing, the webbing should be black or closely match the color of the surrounding rock.
    • Protection may not be placed with the use of a hammer except to replace existing belay and rappel anchors and bolts on existing routes, or for emergency self-rescue.
    • Physical alteration of rock faces is prohibited, such as chiseling, glue reinforcement of existing holds, trundling rocks, and gluing of new holds.
    • It is prohibited to wrap webbing or rope, or rappel off any arch with an opening greater than three feet.
    • The intentional removal of lichen or plants from rock is prohibited. Potential seasonal closures or use limits may be in effect during your visit. Check at the visitor center for current closures or limits.
    • Potential seasonal closures or use limits may be in effect during your visit. Check at the visitor center for current closures or limits.