Send us a suggestion!

News Capitol Reef National Park - Canyoneering Regulations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ratagonia, Apr 24, 2018.

1. ratagonia

ratagonia

It took me a while to find them on the CARE website, so I thought I would copy them out... as I have noted several violations of these rules lately.

a) Technical Canyoneering:
    Canyoneering is defined as cross country travel involving descending into canyons or major rock formations using a variety of techniques that are associated with technical descents – those that require rappels and rope work, technical climbing or down-climbing, technical jumps and/or technical swims.

a) Canyoneering groups are limited to 12 persons per group (to include commercially permitted guides)in the following technical canyons:
    1. Cassidy Arch
    2. 5 Wives
    3. Old School

Canyoneering groups are limited to 6 persons per group (to include commercially permitted guides) in the following technical canyons:
    1. Burro
    2. Cottonwood
    3. Fivemile
    4. Pandora’s Box
    5. Na Gah (Shinob)
    6. Tempie (Shinob)
    7. Nighthawk (Shinob)
    8. Smokestack Canyon
    9. Strike 2 Canyon
    10.Poe Canyon (Smiling Cricket)
    11.Happy Dog
    12.Laughing Baboon
    13.Wonderland
    14.Stegosaurus
    15. Any other Canyons not listed in the Fruita (12 person) area

Group size shall not exceed the determined number of people (as outlined in the above identified areas/canyons) sharing the same affiliation (school, church, club, scout group, family, friends, etc., or combination thereof) in the same canyon, drainage, general area or the same route on the same day.

This applies to people traveling or camping together, and it applies to day use as well as overnight use.

Groups larger than 6 or 12, sharing the same affiliation, may divide into groups smaller than 6 or 12, provided they do not occupy the same canyon, drainage, general area or the same route on the same day.

source: https://www.nps.gov/care/learn/management/upload/CARE-06-2018-Sup-Comp-2.pdf
    Scott Patterson likes this.
  2. ratagonia

ratagonia

Plus this:

5) Technical Rock Climbing and Canyoneering:

Definitions:
    a) Technical Rock Climbing is defined as ascending or descending a rock formation utilizing rock climbing equipment.
    b) Canyoneering is defined as cross country travel involving occasional ascending or descending of a rock formation utilizing rock climbing equipment.
    c) Free Climbing and Clean Aid Climbing are minimum impact approaches that employ stoppers, nuts and camming devices, rather than fixed pitons or bolts, for protection or direct support. These are climbing aids,
    d) which are removable and do not damage the rock.

6) Permits:
    Permits are not required for rock climbing or canyoneering; however, if the climbing or canyoneering includes an overnight stay, then a backcountry use permit is required. Climbers or canyoneers are encouraged to use minimum impact camping and climbing practices.

7) Clean Aid / Free Climbing:
    Climbing and canyoneering within Capitol Reef National Park shall be either free climbing or clean aid climbing, except as described below:
    a) No new climbing hardware may be installed and/or left in a fixed location; however, if an existing bolt or other hardware item is unsafe, it may be replaced. This will limit all climbing to existing routes or new routes not requiring placement of fixed anchors.
    b) Protection may not be placed with the use of a hammer except to replace existing belay and rappel anchors and bolts on existing routes, or for emergency self-rescue.
    c) If an existing software item (sling, runner, etc.) is unsafe, it may be replaced.
    d) Software that is left in place shall match the rock surface in color.
    e) The intentional removal of lichen or plants from rock is prohibited.
    f) The physical altering of rock faces such as by chiseling, glue reinforcement of existing holds, and gluing of new holds is prohibited.
    g) The use of motorized power drills is prohibited.
    h) Ropes may not be left in place unattended for more than 24 hours, and these ropes must be out of reach from the ground or other points accessible without technical climbing.

8) Climbing/Canyoneering Prohibited:
    In addition to the areas identified as closed to the public in Section 1.5(a)(1), technical rock climbing and canyoneering are prohibited in the following areas:
    a) On any arch or natural bridge within the boundaries of Capitol Reef National Park.
    b) Within 300 feet of an archeological site.
    c) Within 1/4 mile of nesting eagles, owls, hawks or falcons.
    Deagol likes this.
  3. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Thanks for pointing this out.

If people don't obey the rules, it's possible (just conjecture on my part rather than official info) they may implement a permit system in the future.
  4. ratagonia

ratagonia

Not sure why Poe, Happy Dog and Laughing Baboon are in there, as they are outside the Park Boundary. I am trying to get group size limits that would apply to GCNRA for this area.

Tom
  5. ratagonia

ratagonia

In other words, this is just scaremongery, as opposed to something for which there is evidence. As in, this is #FakeNews ?

Tom
  6. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Of the three national parks in Utah that are popular for canyoneering, Capitol Reef is the only one that doesn't currently have a permit system. In the post, I said it was only conjecture on my part, but if people don't follow the rules, it wouldn't surprise me if a permit system were implemented.
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  7. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Here:

https://www.nps.gov/glca/learn/management/superintendents-compendium.htm

When camping 100 feet or more from Lake Powell's shoreline, and outside designated campgrounds, group size for hiking and/or camping shall not exceed 12 people and 3 vehicles (and may be further restricted by permit). Groups greater than 12 people shall split into groups of 12 or fewer, and camp at least 1/2 mile apart.

Canyoneering isn't specifically mentioned, but hiking is.
  8. ratagonia

ratagonia

The Park Service STATES plainly why it institutes permit systems. That people don't follow the rules is not on their list of reasons.

Maybe YOU see that after a period of "people don't follow the rules", a permit system is implemented. Correlation does not imply causation.

I have talked to staff at Cap Reef, and they are very clear that they do not want to implement a permit system in Cap Reef. They do not want to allocate their extremely limited resources to this. Since the Park is so spread out, they do not see a way to implement an effective system, even if they DID have the resources.

An exception might be made for Cassidy Arch Canyon.

Tom
  9. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Ok, good news.
  10. Brian in SLC

Brian in SLC Brian in SLC

Actually, it fits in the reasons referenced in their management policy and the CFR.

My guess (without doing a ton of digging) is that most of the regulations and resultant permits related to the public use of NPS property came about because of people not following "the rules" (some just plain ol' common sense rules). Hunting, fishing, trapping, guiding, mineral extraction, grave robbing, etc etc etc. Even skateboarding.

You think they call out skateboarding because of a bunch of compliant rule followers? Think those riders-of-the-concrete-wave could stay off occupied sidewalks? Not a chance with that group... (Funny...that the NPS has to have a regulation around skateboarding).

I think what Scott is getting at, is, there's risk of a permit system due to bad public behavior (see Salt Creek, climbing anchors, white rim, etc in Canyonlands). If they can't manage a permit system, then, they could just close it. Unfortunately, that's one solution the NPS employs when pushed. That's a bigger risk than a permit system.
    Dan Ransom and Scott Patterson like this.