Send us a suggestion!

Capitol Reef Access Issues

Discussion in 'Utah' started by msmnificent, Mar 1, 2013.

1. msmnificent

msmnificent Moderator Staff Member

Hi canyoneers,

First, thanks for what you do to share and update canyon beta here on Canyon Collective.

Now, let me introduce myself. Some of you know me, but for those who don't, my name is Malia, and I and obsessed with canyoneering! Also, I love theme'd fests and canyoneering routes that include (planned) nights out . When I first got into canyoneering I was lucky enough to be living in Torrey, Utah, and so I had the opportunity to really explore and get to know Capitol Reef, although there is still a vast amount of the park that I've yet to explore.... Since I know Capitol Reef pretty well I was asked to be the "liason" for the American Canyoneers in communicating about access issues.

Here's what I am responsible for. The idea is to be proactive about access issues-- do something to mitigate them before a canyon or route (approach/exit, etc.) closes. On that note, if anyone hears of/has concerns about access in Capitol Reef, I'd appreciate the info so I can follow up on it and help get the word out if it is a legitimate concern. (Use the Canyon Collective email function, or the email link in the website below.)

I'll be maintaining this page on the AC site regarding Capitol Reef access: http://www.americancanyoneers.org/access-capitol-reef/ Please check for the latest access information before heading out to Capitol Reef. For you convenience there is a pdf version of the information that is more succinct and prints on a single page. Note the date on the pdf so you'll be able to easily determine if the print-out you have is the most current version. Once the pages for Capitol Reef beta have been created I'll be in touch with their owners to make sure they are up to date with the latest access information as well.

Thanks,
    Malia McIlvenna
    Don, Dan Ransom and Jenny like this.
  2. Scott Chandler

Scott Chandler Wildness is a necessity-John Muir

I saw the other day on Bogley that rangers are requesting people not use the exit up and over Meek's Mesa for Pandora's Box. That might be an access issue to investigate and post on AC
    msmnificent likes this.
  3. msmnificent

Thanks Scott!
  4. msmnificent

Fivemile canyon will be temporaily closed (from now, late June 2013) until August 31 2013 due to some sensitive resource concerns.

There are no other closures in Capitol Reef at this time. Please let me know if you have any questions.
    Jenny likes this.
  5. Ram

Ram

can you share what? owls? It isn't cause of this is it?
    [​IMG]
  6. msmnificent

Sensitive raptor nesting habitat.
    Ram likes this.
  7. CRNPRES

CRNPRES

We are not requesting this. We just want parties to be aware of both options there have been multiple rescue to locate people lost on the uspstream exit. I have done both routes and the downstream is slightly longer but is just a wash hike mostly down hill. The upstream includes climbing back up to Meeks then down again. If decide to do the Upstream exit, you should have a GPS. Finding the way back down Meeks can be tricky.

Also beware the upstream exit is not in the park, it is USFS - which some may no what that means if a rescue takes place for the rescued.
    Ram likes this.
  8. CRNPRES

CRNPRES

Ram - Did you hit 5-mile with the lion or steal this from another? I am surprised it did not pop up online more. We got a few reports of it that spring.
  9. CRNPRES

CRNPRES

Malia,

I will let you know if we have any closures. 5-mile is still open for now. Your link say nothing found, but there is a new cost for entry, camping, etc. It has changed as of today.

EDIT: Stupid new laptop keyboard has a mind of its own.
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  10. msmnificent

Thanks for the updates!
    I updated the beta for the Capitol Reef canyons here to list the new entry fees (as of today, June 1, 2015):
    • Individual on foot or bicycle: $7.00 (the fee was increased on June 1, 2015)
    • Motorcycle or private vehicle: $10.00 (the fee was increased on June 1, 2015)
    • Capitol Reef National Park Annual Pass: $30.00, available at the visitor center
    • Federal Interagency Annual Pass: $80.00, available at the visitor center
  11. Ram

Ram

Steal????:disagree::rolleyes2::furious::facepalm::)

In April 2013, I am descending Fivemile with Jenny. She is in the lead......She turns and with a shocked look says "COUGAR!" We stroll out and see a sheep and a cat, both juvenile and quite dead, less than 10 feet apart. A haunting experience. Above is a steep side draw and we imagine one chasing the other off the cliff, only for both to die so close to each other. Instantaneously? Or did one, the other or both stare at each other as life drained from them?

We told the park that day. Later we posted on this board. We would hear from the park that they would prefer we had kept it more under the radar. They implied that the cat coat would bring big bucks and someone may pursue that end. We went again in October 2013. The scene was washed clean of evidence. We found part of the cat skull in a snag half a mile further down. Or that may have been Oct. 2014? All evidence is long gone now.

PS Vladman had a different theory of this drama. The cat and sheep, hopelessly in love and rejected by both their families, pulled a "Romeo and Juliet." So sad

kKdding aside. One of the most POWERFUL scenes I have ever been witness too
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] \

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]