Send us a suggestion!

Canyoning Colorado: Assistant Instructor needed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Andrew Humphreys, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Andrew Humphreys

Andrew Humphreys

Hi everyone,

Canyoning Colorado is in need of an Assistant Instructor for the upcoming 2018 summer. If you have a professional certification, first aid, and are a US resident/citizen, please feel free to apply directly with me at andrew@canyoningcolorado.com.

Thanks!

Andrew Humphreys
    Owner Operator
    Canyoning Colorado LLC
  2. ratagonia

ratagonia

Hi Andrew -

can you state more detail on what you mean by professional certification and first aid?

I have a professional certification. I have a Kane County Food Handler's license. Takes about an hour on line.

Tom
    getinthewild and Jason Linder like this.
  3. hobo_climber

hobo_climber

One would imagine (based purely on speculation!) that considering Andrew is the owner/operator of a Canyoning Company that is seeking an assistant instructor, that the requested professional certification would be in the field of Canyoning OR maybe the obscure and rarely practiced Canyoneering.

But then again I may have missed the mark entirely... :tongue:
    Tom Collins likes this.
  4. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

Good one, although the first aid one might need to be clarified, I'm guessing he wants either WFA or WFR and not a general first aid class.
  5. Jason Linder

Jason Linder

I think what Tom may be driving at is that there really aren't any laws or rules regarding who can guide and who can't. Anyone can start a "guiding" company and apply for permits. There are several canyoneering organizations and associations out there with their own certification processes but they exist really for their own benefit in this regard. Not to say that they don't facilitate comraderie, community, safety, and common practices/standards - but there really isn't an authority over who is qualified to legally or morally operate as a guide and who isn't.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
  6. ratagonia

ratagonia

Close.

Let's set aside the legal requirements because, as you say, there are none.

Certification. In the USA. For canyoneering guiding? There really is none.

Andrew is involved in the ICOPRO program, which is a very high-standard program. If anyone in the USA holds this certification, Andrew is likely to know them, have trained them, etc. There really is no other certification program in the USA, though there might be people kicking around who hold certifications from respected organizations on other continents.

What about the ACA Canyon Guide certification? you may ask. I have held that certification in the fairly distant past, and consider it not of value. YMMV. I suspect Andrew's standards are higher than mine.

Thus, I question what Andrew wants for a certification. He is unlikely to find assistant instructors with a cert that are not already on his email list through ICOPRO, though perhaps he would consider certifications from AMGA (etc). I think it unlikely he would accept the certification offered by the Kane County Health Department.

Tom
    getinthewild and Jason Linder like this.
  7. getinthewild

getinthewild

Very true Tom. We've found it challenging to find canyoneering instructors regardless of any specific certification. Alpine Mountaineering instructors however are quite easy to find. There is of course an easy explanation for this.