Send us a suggestion!

Canyoneers missing in Zion

Discussion in 'Accidents and Near Misses' started by Canyonero, May 27, 2017.

1. Canyonero

Canyonero

Anyone have any info?

Updates to come.
  2. Canyonero

Canyonero

Nobody hurt. Apparently "stuck" in Heaps. Further details as available.
  3. dakotabelliston

dakotabelliston Living life to it's fullest

This actively happening?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
  4. Canyonero

Canyonero

Friends of a friend, seeing some random Facebook updates. Sounds like the rescue is going well and hopefully out today.

Apparently involves three women "stuck" since Friday night who are supposed to do the final rappel today/tonight with SAR. I guess that means they're not too hurt if they're rappelling instead of riding in a helicopter, so probably a happy ending on this one.
    Last edited: May 29, 2017
  5. wsbpress

wsbpress

Any more updates on this?

A helicopter briefly hovered over my party while we were in Right Fork on Saturday. On Sunday, after returning to cell service I had a few voicemails from a Zion NP Ranger who wanted to know if we had found any evidence of the missing party in RF. By the time I was able to return his call they had located the party in Heaps.

I hope they are all ok.
  6. Canyonero

Canyonero

Haven't seen anything, but like I said, I don't know them personally, just of them.
  7. Kip Marshall

Kip Marshall

We need to use the term 'stuck' quite loosely in this case.

A quick recap of this rescue:

The three women started out at the Wildcat trailhead (in Tevas). After a full day of hiking, they realized they were in the wrong place and hitched a ride to Lava Point. From Lava Point, they made their way to the West Rim Trailhead; this was at around 7:00pm.

After descending into the far depths of Heaps, they reached a dead-end (The Devil's Pit). At this point, they became unsure if they were in the correct canyon. They had plenty of food, started a fire and sent out an SOS message that said "Help! Trapped in heaps canyon since thursday night with no gps coordinates". They made camp in the hallway next to The Devils' pit and there they stayed until SAR found them.
  8. ratagonia

ratagonia

... and completed the canyon with them.

Thanks for the report, Kip. *Interesting*...

Tom
    John Styrnol likes this.
  9. bhalvers2002

bhalvers2002

Thanks for the updates. Glad they are safe. There must be a lot more to this story. Hope more details emerge. Did they intend to do heaps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. Canyonero

Canyonero

11. Kip Marshall

Kip Marshall

They did intend to do Heaps, which begs the question as to why they didn't know about The Devils' Pit. There are many more details but they aren't really mine to give. Hopefully, we will learn more from actual members of the group.
    John Styrnol likes this.
  12. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

If they started out at Wildcat it seems like they didn't do their research on the canyon so it's not surprising that they didn't know about the devils pit.
  13. Kip Marshall

Kip Marshall

Which was a conclusion I made as well.
  14. Craig

Craig Feeling My Way

Is it possible to arrange a SAR guided trip through Heaps before getting trapped? Maybe I could reserve a time and date for them to meet me at the Devil's Pit. This would allow rescues to be more efficiently planned and likely costs would be less. I wouldn't have to invest in a PLB or worry about carrying a 300' rope. It is a win-win.
  15. Backcountry

Backcountry

We are scheduled to do Right Fork of North Creek June 27th. We would like to do Hammerhead entrance and the direct pothole route. Can anyone give me information about (1) recent conditions and (2) the difficulty level of the direct section. We think our experience level is intermediate. We have done about 15 canyons including monkey business, pine creek, granary, Lost & Found, U- Turn, full death hollow 3 times, Birch, Subway, and many in robbers roost and North Wash. We are comfortable building natural anchors, using retrievable anchors, doing slides & captures, and have had a little practice ascending (in training situations). I would appreciate any insight as to the difficulty of this route or how you know you are ready for a new canyon.
  16. wsbpress

wsbpress

I have answers to only some of your questions, specifically regarding conditions. This is probably the wrong thread for this though. If you start a new thread I will respond there. Cheers.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
  17. Deagol

Deagol too many hobbies

I have not done Heaps, but know that it is pretty serious. Doing it in Tevas seems crazy to me, right ????
  18. Alias_Rice

Alias_Rice

What they should have done is started a fire in the pit and climbed up and out using the light from the flames. Just for historical purposes.
  19. ratagonia

ratagonia