Send us a suggestion!

Canyoneering this weekend

Discussion in 'Meet Up' started by qedcook, Jun 1, 2017.

1. qedcook

qedcook

My weekend plans just cancelled on me. Anybody need an extra canyoneer on their trip? I'd also be up for climbing.
  2. 2065toyota

2065toyota

We will possible have a opening in Zion for Saturday. Doing Telephone / Not Imlay combo
  3. LonePeak

LonePeak

I'm in the same boat, and feel a bit glum if I don't log in a couple trips short trips a month. I could do Fri-Sat, maybe even drive down from Salt Lake tonight if I get notice very soon. If plans aren't already made I could suggest Cheesebox and Fry or Shinob and Cottonwood.
  4. qedcook

qedcook

Any interest in climbing at city of rocks Friday evening to Saturday evening? Or for canyoneering, I'd be game for North Wash: Blushing Bride/Jilted Lover/Trail Canyon/Woody. Or Escalante: Little Death Hollow, Wolverine, and Sad Cow Disease. I'm probably going to Cedar Mesa next weekend, so Cheesebox would be my last choice, but I'd do it again. It's a fun one. But I don't have a high clearance car to get to it.
  5. LonePeak

LonePeak

I'm not so much into technical climbing, but there's no shortage of canyon options. We don't need to repeat Cheesebox for you. I have somewhat high clearance but no 4WD.

If you're the designated climber with plenty of skills, Jilted Lover/Blushing bride sounds okay, along with Woody if you have an Ibis hook (I've only got a captain hook without a pole). The greater NW area will be hot when we're not wet. There's also upper Maidenwater Middle.

I could use some keeper practice so let me also throw out Quandary and Knotted Rope in the SR Swell, though I suppose that would be better with more people.
  6. Clifford Strieby

Clifford Strieby

Just saw this and im in this same situation. Would love to join any groups going anywhere saturday.
  7. LonePeak

LonePeak

PMs sent. Let's talk on the phone while there's time. Thanks!
  8. 2065toyota

2065toyota

You're welcome to join us if you would like to
  9. LonePeak

LonePeak

Thanks, Toyota. Right now it looks like qedcook is headed to City of the Rocks while Clifford & I go to Capitol Reef since the logistics are easier for a one-day trip. I've also got Telephone and Not-Imlay scheduled for later this summer. Another time?

If anyone knows of roadside camping alternatives near Fruita in case the campground there is full, it could be helpful.
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    2065toyota likes this.
  10. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

@LonePeak There is often camping to be found at the Pandora's Box TH
  11. 2065toyota

2065toyota

Our group has went from 6, to 3, to 4, to 6 and has now settled back to 4. It's been one of those days. 2 open spots still. Catching the first shuttle at 6am from the visitors center
  12. Tirrus

Tirrus Rope rider.

You would think that normally. Seems the word has gotten out to RVers and campers alike. Seeing 20-30 groups a night camped out there this past month.

I would recommend alternative BLM or Forest Service camping in the area.
  13. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

If anyone knows of roadside camping alternatives near Fruita in case the campground there is full, it could be helpful.

On the east side, the best campsite is at Cottonwood Wash, though there are many other campsites in the area. I like Cottonwood Wash because of the sandy area and shade trees.
  14. John Styrnol

John Styrnol

Where is this campground near Fruita and where is Cottonwood Wash near Fruita?
  15. Craig

Craig Feeling My Way

I've camped at the spot shown below, but this is the place that Tirrus says is now crowded:

https://goo.gl/maps/p1NMg4Xf7bR2

Also, on the west end of Torrey is Sand Creek Road, it heads north towards Thousand Lake Mountain after it enters the National Forest the road is bumpy, no low cars but I've seen small RVs up there. 1/2 mile up the forest road there are several wide spaces next to the road where people camp, no facilities, windy!

https://goo.gl/maps/7YBZoqkM3zM2

I've never been to Sunglow NF campground but it isn't too far from Torrey:

https://goo.gl/maps/vLEbWsNMJmP2

Edit: Forget to show Cottonwood Wash:

https://goo.gl/maps/4DgRQhgYdjr
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    Tirrus and Sandstone Addiction like this.
  16. John Styrnol

John Styrnol

Sorry, I was thinking Fruita, CO.