Send us a suggestion!

Canyoneering Shoes?

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by Ali Miller, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Ali Miller

Ali Miller

Hi CC,

It looks like it's been a few years since there's been a discussion about shoes on the boards.

Do you folks have any favorites with good grippy soles and good water drainage?
  2. hank moon

hank moon lovely ligatures

Mike Rogers and Ali Miller like this.
  3. Brian in SLC

Brian in SLC Brian in SLC

You, uhh, wearin' women's shoes, Hank?
    CRNPRES, Kuenn, Bill and 1 other person like this.
  4. hank moon

So sick of the Man colors!
  5. Bill

Bill ... Staff Member

I have two pairs of the Adidas Terrex scope GTX and while its officially an approach shoe it meets my canyoneering needs.
    Stealth rubber, comfy, looks cool, doesnt fall apart, and all that jazz.

[​IMG]
    Bshapiro and Ali Miller like this.
  6. NevadaSlots

NevadaSlots

I'm a big fan of the Arcteryx Acrux FL, it looks like they are no longer in production, but its pretty easy to find them around on the web on sale. They are pretty supportive for those heinous approaches and are made almost completely out of a plastic material so they are super durable. They have a little inner liner that keeps rocks out and the grip is pretty sweet (not 5.10 stealth good, but a close 2nd). Just make sure you get the right size or they really rip up the achilles area of the foot.
    Ali Miller likes this.
  7. Erin

Erin

Five Ten Guide Tennies are on sale right now at Sierra Trading Post for $49.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ali Miller likes this.
  8. Amy K

Amy K

I second Adidas Terrex. I love mine (Terrex Solo) and I'm currently looking into getting another pair (probably the men's version posted above). Several women I canyoneer with love them.
    Bshapiro, Bill and Ali Miller like this.
  9. Mike Rogers

Mike Rogers

Never worn the women's...but I love the mens TX3. For those of you who can't normally wear La Sportivas because they're too narrow--that's the boat I'm in--give the TX3 a try. The TX series is built on a different last than anything else in La Sportiva's line. Wider, comfortable forefoot. Can wear for weeks at a time. Working on my third pair now--and that is NOT an indictment of their durability.

A longer version of my thoughts: https://mikeshikes.wordpress.com/2016/04/24/review-la-sportiva-tx3/
    Kuenn and Ali Miller like this.
  10. Ali Miller

Ali Miller

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
  11. hank moon

@miller.alice.d This FB Group has 237 members, all of whom are Canyoneering Chicks </hint>
    Ali Miller likes this.
  12. Ali Miller

Ali Miller

Lol, thanks Hank. :D
  13. Kuenn

Kuenn

If you're more into a boot the Bestard Canyon Guide has receive some high marks on the CC. They're probably going to be my next canyon shoe down the road.

(And Hank, they come in men and women styles - with gender neutral colors :woot:)
  14. The Dread Pirate Roberts

The Dread Pirate Roberts

Bill, I also like the Adidas, they are comfortable and stick well to the rock. Does the Gore-Tex bother you when your are in wet canyons?
    Bshapiro likes this.
  15. Bill

Bill ... Staff Member

Not really, I haven't noticed any drainage issues. It all just squishes out eventually.
    Bshapiro and Ali Miller like this.
  16. Ali Miller

Ali Miller

Ok guys, following recommendations here I decided to try both the Adidas Terrex Scope and the La Sportiva TX3.

It's been hard -- they're both great! In fact, they're almost comically sticky on my laminate flooring -- I can barely walk around my house. :)

Ultimately, I think I'm going to go with the Adidas. The sole seems a bit stiffer and more supportive; I imagine they'd be better for toe holds and edging. The outsole on the Terrex also seems just a tad stickier than the TX3s.

I can't decide if the waterproof GoreTex on the Adidas will be a help or not? I suppose I'll throw on my neoprene booties in a wet canyon, so maybe it doesn't matter?

I'm sure I'd be really happy with either, it's nearly a toss-up. I still haven't returned my TX3s, so please feel free to convince me that I'm making the wrong call. :)

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions! I can't wait for my new kicks to be covered in red dirt!

(Edit: It's worth noting that I have long but narrow feet. The TX3s seem a bit wider.)
  17. ratagonia

ratagonia

Canyoneering, we hardly ever edge or use small holds, it is almost always slabby slabby, where less stiff is better. To a point.

The Bumblebee 5.10 Canyoneers are exceptionally soft, and if I wear them without an aftermarket insole, the bottom of my feet get beat up, so TOO soft. But with the insole - just right.

Tom
    Ali Miller likes this.
  18. Ali Miller

Ali Miller

I knew I could count on you Tom. :D

That's a good point though... The TX3s might smear better...
  19. 2065toyota

2065toyota

I also wear the 5.10 canyoneers and like them
    Ali Miller likes this.
  20. tom_brennan

tom_brennan

Many friends have tried the Bestard Canyon Guides, and like them. I borrowed a friend's but they were narrow and hard in the heel. I've also tried the Bestard Aqua Pro, which is essentially the low cut version of the Canyon Guide. They are lightweight, but just not the right shape for my (difficult) feet. But there are plenty of Bestard fans out there.

I bought the La Sportiva TX3 in the US last year. They've been excellent - for my feet. As Mike Rogers says, they have a wider forefoot. I have a narrow heel and wider forefoot, so good for me. They are free draining (can be good or bad) and do let sand in through the mesh.

I previously used the La Sportiva Xplorers, which were similar, and pretty good, but the TX3s are a little wider.
    ratagonia, hank moon and Ali Miller like this.