Send us a suggestion!

Canyoneering in the Grand Canyon: Backpacks, Wetsuits, Ropes and Rafts

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by RAM, May 18, 2011.

1. RAM

RAM Guest

a notice of a presentation Aaron Locander and Todd Martin are doing.

Both Todd Martin and Aaron Locander will be presenting a slideshow on technical canyoneering in the Grand Canyon.

Todd Martin will start with a presentation on what it takes to do first descents in the Grand Canyon. He will cover everything from preparing and planning a rugged backcountry trip, to how the use of packrafting down the Colorado River in a 2 pound boat opens up a new world of exploration possibilities. Todd will also give everybody a preview of his latest book dedicated to Canyoneering in the Grand Canyon which will include 117 canyons and is due out this spring.

Aaron Locander will share his experience of doing a 30 day raft trip from Lee's Ferry to Pearce Ferry in February of 2011 with the primary purpose of descending some of the canyons that Todd first found. It was no ordinary raft trip with freezing temperatures, ice cold potholes in winter, and 4 am wakeup calls all in the name of adventure. Aaron also paddled his one man Alpacka packraft for over 210 miles through some of the biggest rapids that the Colorado River has to offer and has the video to prove it.

Come for the pictures, come for the video, but, above all, come to hear about how a few people have been pushing the sport of technical canyoneering in one of the world's most recognized places and see what incredible places they found.

If you have questions about the program or the location, contact Kim McClintic @ [masked] or [masked]

Join us after the program at Duke's Sports Bar, 7607 E. McDowell Rd.

http://www.meetup.com/Arizona-Mountaineering-Club/events/17108169/
  2. RAM

RAM Guest

A reminder...this is tonight. Wish I could, wish I might.....

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "RAM" <adkramoo@...> wrote:
    Both Todd Martin and Aaron Locander will be presenting a slideshow on technical canyoneering in the Grand Canyon.
    Todd Martin will start with a presentation on what it takes to do first descents in the Grand Canyon. He will cover everything from preparing and planning a rugged backcountry trip, to how the use of packrafting down the Colorado River in a 2 pound boat opens up a new world of exploration possibilities. Todd will also give everybody a preview of his latest book dedicated to Canyoneering in the Grand Canyon which will include 117 canyons and is due out this spring.
    Aaron Locander will share his experience of doing a 30 day raft trip from Lee's Ferry to Pearce Ferry in February of 2011 with the primary purpose of descending some of the canyons that Todd first found. It was no ordinary raft trip with freezing temperatures, ice cold potholes in winter, and 4 am wakeup calls all in the name of adventure. Aaron also paddled his one man Alpacka packraft for over 210 miles through some of the biggest rapids that the Colorado River has to offer and has the video to prove it.
    Come for the pictures, come for the video, but, above all, come to hear about how a few people have been pushing the sport of technical canyoneering in one of the world's most recognized places and see what incredible places they found.

If you have questions about the program or the location, contact Kim McClintic @ [masked] or [masked]

3. Dan

Dan Guest

Here's a little clip of Aaron's exploits in an Alpacka this past February. Wish I could show up tonight...

http://vimeo.com/24137742
  4. Felicia

Felicia Guest

Dan, your videos were awesome - they look incredible on the big screen!

The evening was very enjoyable. Todd started the evening with Dan's video and then showed pictures of canyons that will be included in his upcoming book. This book is going to be a "must have book" in every canyoneer's library.

Thereafter, Aaron gave his presentation of his experience of thirty days rafting and canyoneering in the Grand Canyon. We've all seen various photos from the trip, but seeing Aaron's photos and video on the big screen really brought home the magnitude of the undertaking of that trip - epic! He ended the presentation with Dan's newly released video and a reading of his favorite morning poem.

Well done presentation gentlemen!

The Arizona Mountaineering Club seems like a very active, organized, and social group of people - I would definitely be a member if I live closer.

It was nice to reconnect with Rich and Todd. It was also a treat to finally meet Lori from Las Vegas. I look forwarded to seeing you again soon somewhere doing something!

Felicia

Sent from my iPhone

On May 23, 2011, at 4:21 PM, "Dan" carpeybiggs@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Here's a little clip of Aaron's exploits in an Alpacka this past February. Wish I could show up tonight...

---
    When you post, please change the Subject appropriately, to make reading and searching easier. You can use the following abbreviations: TRIP = Trip Report; BETA = Canyon Beta; PARTNER = Partner and/or Rides; ETHICS = Ethics; TECH = Technical Questions and Tips; BIZ = E Group Business; SALE = Stuff for Sale. Please use a Tilde ~ after the abbreviation, so we know you are coding for us, such as:
    Subject: BIZ~ New Abbreviation List - working?
    To change your delivery options, go to the Canyons Egroup page on yahoo: > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/
    > This will require logging into Yahoo. Click on the &amp;amp;quot;Edit My > Membership&amp;amp;quot; link, and change your delivery option. Press &amp;amp;quot;Save > Changes&amp;amp;quot;.
    DAILY DIGEST OPTION will deliver one email > to you each day summarizing that day's messages.
    WEB ONLY OPTION will not deliver email; you > must visit the web site to view messages. Groups Links
    >
  5. Randi

Randi Guest

Sounds like a really great presentation! So you were there too Felecia? Did you decide to spontaneously head out that way for a b/d treat? :) Amazing colors down there in the GC - I wanna go back someday!!!  

--- On Mon, 5/23/11, Felicia canyoncaper@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Felicia canyoncaper@yahoo.com> Subject: Re: [from Canyons Group] Re: Canyoneering in the Grand Canyon: Backpacks, Wetsuits, Ropes and Rafts To: "Yahoo Canyons Group" <Yahoo Canyons Group> Date: Monday, May 23, 2011, 9:33 PM

Dan, your videos were awesome - they look incredible on the big screen!

The evening was very enjoyable. Todd started the evening with Dan's video and then showed pictures of canyons that will be included in his upcoming book. This book is going to be a "must have book" in every canyoneer's library.

Thereafter, Aaron gave his presentation of his experience of thirty days rafting and canyoneering in the Grand Canyon. We've all seen various photos from the trip, but seeing Aaron's photos and video on the big screen really brought home the magnitude of the undertaking of that trip - epic! He ended the presentation with Dan's newly released video and a reading of his favorite morning poem.

The Arizona Mountaineering Club seems like a very active, organized, and social group of people - I would definitely be a member if I live closer.

It was nice to reconnect with Rich and Todd. It was also a treat to finally meet Lori from Las Vegas. I look forwarded to seeing you again soon somewhere doing something!

Felicia

Sent from my iPhone

> Here's a little clip of Aaron's exploits in an Alpacka this past February. Wish I could show up tonight...

---
    When you post, please change the Subject appropriately, to make reading and searching easier. You can use the following abbreviations: TRIP = Trip Report; BETA = Canyon Beta; PARTNER = Partner and/or Rides; ETHICS = Ethics; TECH = Technical Questions and Tips; BIZ = E Group Business; SALE = Stuff for Sale. Please use a Tilde ~ after the abbreviation, so we know you are coding for us, such as:
    To change your delivery options, go to the Canyons Egroup page on yahoo: > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/
    > This will require logging into Yahoo. Click on the &amp;amp;quot;Edit My > Membership&amp;amp;quot; link, and change your delivery option. Press &amp;amp;quot;Save > Changes&amp;amp;quot;.
    DAILY DIGEST OPTION will deliver one email > to you each day summarizing that day's messages.
    WEB ONLY OPTION will not deliver email; you > must visit the web site to view messages. Groups Links
    >
  6. Felicia

Felicia Guest

Yes - roadtrip!!! I decided this morning to join the kids as they headed through Phoenix on their way home. I'll catch the train home tomorrow.

I'm so ready to get back out in the canyons. I want to go to Deer Creek. :)

Sent from my iPhone

On May 23, 2011, at 10:31 PM, Randi advntr_inxs@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Sounds like a really great presentation! So you were there too Felecia? Did you decide to spontaneously head out that way for a b/d treat? :) > Amazing colors down there in the GC - I wanna go back someday!!!
    > --- On Mon, 5/23/11, Felicia canyoncaper@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > From: Felicia canyoncaper@yahoo.com
    Subject: Re: [from Canyons Group] Re: Canyoneering in the Grand Canyon: Backpacks, Wetsuits, Ropes and Rafts > To: "Yahoo Canyons Group" <Yahoo Canyons Group
    Date: Monday, May 23, 2011, 9:33 PM

> Dan, your videos were awesome - they look incredible on the big screen!
    Felicia
    Sent from my iPhone
    > Here's a little clip of Aaron's exploits in an Alpacka this past February. Wish I could show up tonight... >
    > http://vimeo.com/24137742

> --- >
    > When you post, please change the Subject appropriately, to make reading and searching easier. You can use the following abbreviations: TRIP = Trip Report; BETA = Canyon Beta; PARTNER = Partner and/or Rides; ETHICS = Ethics; TECH = Technical Questions and Tips; BIZ = E Group Business; SALE = Stuff for Sale. Please use a Tilde ~ after the abbreviation, so we know you are coding for us, such as: >
    > Subject: BIZ~ New Abbreviation List - working? >
    > To change your delivery options, go to the Canyons Egroup page on yahoo: >> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/

> This will require logging into Yahoo. Click on the &amp;amp;quot;Edit My >> Membership&amp;amp;quot; link, and change your delivery option. Press &amp;amp;quot;Save >> Changes&amp;amp;quot;. >
    > DAILY DIGEST OPTION will deliver one email >> to you each day summarizing that day's messages. >
    > WEB ONLY OPTION will not deliver email; you >> must visit the web site to view messages. Groups Links >

>

---
    >
  7. Randi

Randi Guest

That's soooo cool Felicia! Isn't life wonderful when you spontaneously decide to do something fun like that?! Happy you got to hang with your kids and be dazzled by the GC presentation. Yeah Deer Creek looks pretty sweet - it's on my list too along with a hundred others   Travel safe! ~ :)

--- On Mon, 5/23/11, Felicia canyoncaper@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Felicia canyoncaper@yahoo.com> Subject: Re: [from Canyons Group] Re: Canyoneering in the Grand Canyon: Backpacks, Wetsuits, Ropes and Rafts To: "Yahoo Canyons Group" <Yahoo Canyons Group> Date: Monday, May 23, 2011, 10:52 PM

Yes - roadtrip!!! I decided this morning to join the kids as they headed through Phoenix on their way home. I'll catch the train home tomorrow.

I'm so ready to get back out in the canyons. I want to go to Deer Creek. :)

Sent from my iPhone

On May 23, 2011, at 10:31 PM, Randi advntr_inxs@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Sounds like a really great presentation! So you were there too Felecia? Did you decide to spontaneously head out that way for a b/d treat? :) > Amazing colors down there in the GC - I wanna go back someday!!!
    > --- On Mon, 5/23/11, Felicia canyoncaper@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > From: Felicia canyoncaper@yahoo.com
    Subject: Re: [from Canyons Group] Re: Canyoneering in the Grand Canyon: Backpacks, Wetsuits, Ropes and Rafts > To: "Yahoo Canyons Group" <Yahoo Canyons Group
    Date: Monday, May 23, 2011, 9:33 PM

> Dan, your videos were awesome - they look incredible on the big screen!
    Felicia
    Sent from my iPhone
    > Here's a little clip of Aaron's exploits in an Alpacka this past February. Wish I could show up tonight... >
    > http://vimeo.com/24137742

> --- >
    > When you post, please change the Subject appropriately, to make reading and searching easier. You can use the following abbreviations: TRIP = Trip Report; BETA = Canyon Beta; PARTNER = Partner and/or Rides; ETHICS = Ethics; TECH = Technical Questions and Tips; BIZ = E Group Business; SALE = Stuff for Sale. Please use a Tilde ~ after the abbreviation, so we know you are coding for us, such as: >
    > Subject: BIZ~ New Abbreviation List - working? >
    > To change your delivery options, go to the Canyons Egroup page on yahoo: >> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/

> This will require logging into Yahoo. Click on the &amp;amp;quot;Edit My >> Membership&amp;amp;quot; link, and change your delivery option. Press &amp;amp;quot;Save >> Changes&amp;amp;quot;. >
    > DAILY DIGEST OPTION will deliver one email >> to you each day summarizing that day's messages. >
    > WEB ONLY OPTION will not deliver email; you >> must visit the web site to view messages. Groups Links >

>

---
    >
  8. It was a great pair of presentations. Aaron had about a thousand (rough estimate) canyoneering photos set to music. Awesome.

Mini reunion with Lori, Aaron, Shannon, and Rich. I'm ready to go back -- darn that one-trip-per-year rule!

Chris

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "RAM" <adkramoo@...> wrote:
    A reminder...this is tonight. Wish I could, wish I might.....
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "RAM" <adkramoo@> wrote: