Send us a suggestion!

Tech Tip: Question Canyoneering for Climbers: Fundamentals

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by Tricam, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Tricam

Tricam

What are fundamentals of canyoneering that a climber should learn beyond what is required for descending climbs?

Assume the climber has the skillset for safe multi pitch climbing (anchors, rappels up to 200', basic self rescue, etc).

---

I am a climber who was able to go canyoneering once in Zion, but loved it and want to do more in the future (brother's family is moving to Utah which will give me more opportunities when visiting). I only did Pine Creek and Keyhole which aren't technically challenging, but I would have benefited from learning about rope management in canyons, which is quite different when doing a bunch of short rappels.

What other fundamentals am I likely missing for more challenging routes?
  2. Tricam

Tricam

3. Canyonero

Canyonero

Pothole escape. High stemming. Anchor assessment and testing. Properly setting and adjusting friction on rappel. Swimming disconnects.
    Tricam likes this.
  4. Canyon Monkey

Canyon Monkey Useful Idiot

Here is a link to some of the canyon skills you may want to familiarize yourself with: ACA Skills Checklist
    Jared Robertson and Tricam like this.
  5. Tricam

Tricam

Wow, that Canyon Skills list is perfect... very concrete examples that can be generalized to give a much better idea of expected challenges.. thanks!
    Canyon Monkey likes this.