Send us a suggestion!

Canyoneering Footwear Tips for Gila Trip

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by Hessma, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Hessma

Hessma

Looking for some footwear tips and tricks for an extended 5 day trip to Gila Wilderness in New Mexico.
    Expecting long hiking days, 6-11 miles per day with multiple water crossings. Hoping to find a single boot/sock combo that works well for both approach/wet conditions with a multi day pack.

The itinerary looks something like this. If anyone knows this route and can recommend a solid boot sock combo for this route, would be very much appreciated, Thanks!
    Sunday May 14: West Fork Trailhead, hike 6mi up West Fork
    Monday May 15: Hike to Hells Hole
    Tuesday May 16: Hike to The Meadows of Middle Fork
    Wednesday May 17: Hike to Jordan Hot Springs
    Thursday May 18: Hike back to West Fork TH via Little Bear Canyon
  2. TJ Cottam

TJ Cottam Adventure Plus

I'm not familiar with this particular trip, but I've used the Bestard Canyon Guide on multi day Grand Canyon trips. 5mm Neosport Socks when wet and Darn Tough hiking socks when dry. I put the neo socks on at the first unavoidable water, then start each day with the wool socks after everything has dried out overnight. Hope this helps.

T.J.
  3. Phavant

Phavant

I have used the same as TJ for some long hikes. Only difference is I use a super thick wool sock with no neos on dry days and 5MM neos and really thin wool sock underneath when in water. The laces down to the toes on the Bestards allow me to really adjust the boot for the conditions which has worked great for me.
  4. Hessma

Hessma

Thanks for the feedback!
    Sounds like the Bestards are comfortable enough for the long hike and made for the water which will be good from what I have read about the Gila West Fork Loop.

I typically wear a 7.5 but I see the Bestards smallest size is an 8. Do you think I will be fine with an 8 in these boots? From what I can tell most on this site prefer the extra room for neo socks and potential wool/neo layering.
    Also, do you know about how long it takes to get the boots? Looks like very few shops are carrying them in the states.

Thanks again!
  5. TJ Cottam

TJ Cottam Adventure Plus

I have very rarely seen anyone size up these particular boots. They are made to accommodate a 5mm sock without sizing up. The Canyon Guide Lady comes in smaller sizes, the only difference being they are blue/yellow instead of orange/silver and they fit slightly narrower. A 9.5 in the Lady is the same as a 7.5 in the Canyon Guide. Depending on where you're at shipping takes 1-5 days, the closer you are to Utah the faster they arrive. Given your time frame it may be a good idea to order a couple of sizes and return whichever doesn't fit.
    ratagonia likes this.