Send us a suggestion!

Canyon Tales

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stefan, Aug 23, 2016.

1. stefan

stefan wandering utahn

Canyon Tales Ad. 8

A new addition to Canyon Tales has been long overdue. This is the first in a two-part addition with the second part to be added late this fall. Today’s addition to Canyon Tales is in honor and celebration of the 35th anniversary of the descent of Poe Canyon by Mike Bogart and Jenny West (AKA Hall) on August 23, 1981.

Eight years ago, I read Jason Pease’s trip report on descending this canyon immediately after he posted it online. I was intrigued. At the same time I had been corresponding with Dennis Turville about canyon descents and I asked him about the canyon. A few days later, Jason’s descent partner in this canyon, Mark Fleck, inquired about information on who descended this canyon and others nearby as bolts had been found during their descents. I shared the descent information that Turville had shared with me as a link to the Canyon Name Database as well as a translation for Jason’s names. It was incredibly fascinating to think about Mike Bogart and Jenny Hall (West) exploring and descending this special canyon in such a wild place nearly 3 decades earlier--an area I had explored a number of times since I first became enthralled with it in March 2000. I thought they were so visionary and ahead of their time.

An incredible twist to this story is what happened next when a link to a website with a remarkable video of the canyon, made by none other than Dan Ransom, found its way into Jenny West’s email inbox. Jenny tells this wonderful story in a revised version of her tale ‘Of Pits and Pendulums’ which is one of my very favorites and is included in this addition. To further celebrate their descent, it’s a true honor and pleasure to include Mike Bogart’s outstanding essay ‘Old Ramblings’ which is a universe unto itself.

There are many wonderful tales to explore in this addition so I’ll keep it short and let the tales speak for themselves. However, I would like to say that one tale 'Sandthrax Upclimb' is also in memory of Ben Hebb who died climbing the Diamond on Longs Peak on August 27, 2010.

There are some new updates to the website as well. First, the Table of Contents/Index page now has a small menu that allows the articles in Canyon Tales to be sorted by topic, author, title & date (year of addition). Second, each webpage now should list the article title in one’s browser history, bookmarks, etc. (previously it would be labeled only as Canyon Tales).

New Canyon Tales:
    http://www.math.utah.edu/~sfolias/canyontales/new/

Many thanks to all who have contributed to Canyon Tales.

And thanks for reading the tales,

Stefan (& Dave)
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
    2065toyota, danf, Jenny and 5 others like this.
  2. Ram

Ram

On the page of new stories....Just in case some miss it.

On the 35th anniversary of the descent of Poe Canyon
    by Mike Bogart & Jenny Hall (West) on August 23, 1981
    Jenny, Kuenn and mattwilliams like this.
  3. Kuenn

Kuenn

:twothumbs:
    Having never done this canyon I have to go on what I've read and heard, so this is somewhat speculative. However, I am very familiar with the hardware, tools and techniques that were prevalent in the early 80s for vertical on-ropers. So... I don't feel uncomfortable in calling this a BIG DEAL - then and now. (If I may presumptuously speak for us average skilled majority.)
    Jenny, Ram and stefan like this.
  4. Mike

Mike epic blarneys

Stefan, thanks man. I can always trust the content quality. The only canyon site for me that evokes "that feeling" on the internet consistantly. Flashy beta sites and music videos be damned.

Somehow I think that was my first time reading Jenny's story. I don't really know how to describe it, but the passion, humility, and wildness really come through. Not surprising knowning Jenny, but surprising that I can feel it through words on a page.
    Jenny, Ram and stefan like this.
  5. Jenny

Jenny

Well, it is an honor and humbling indeed, to see Canyon Tales commemorate the long ago descent of Poe Canyon. Many of you have been in the gut of this lovely earth sculpture and many have posted their experience of it. My experience, 35 years ago, is no more significant than yours.

The new stories are so exciting, variable and carefully chosen to reflect the temperament of our beloved Canyoneering. I will savor each story like a spoonful of rich chocolate mousse. I love the new index, making it easy to find an author and a story, or see what what else a contributor has done. Don't you agree?

That said, I want to point a long-overdue spotlight on Mr. Mike Bogart with his first contribution to the Canyon Tales site. He has been pretty silent for many decades, and has presented a most thoughtfully constructed peek into his perspective over the years. If you ever pondered what it might be like for those early explorers of some of our favorite canyons, you'll enjoy this one. As some have observed, Mike shares a universe of content in his beautifully crafted piece, "Old Ramblings”. I recall how scary it was when I re-entered the world of canyoneering. It took much patient support from Dan Ransom, later Stefan, Ram and Tom with welcoming words from Brendan too. All of this meant so much to me, and still does. I hope that Mike receives a similar welcome to the Clan experience that I did. Welcome Bogie!

However, if we are going to take our hats off and bow down to anyone in all of this, I think that Stefan Folias is entitled to the kudos. Stefan may have begun the work on this site as a way to live vicariously the life of canyon adventure as he lived in far off Boston. But it has evolved into his role as The Keeper of our Canyon History, in my view. In collaboration with Dave Pimental, he is like a sleuth, hunting the Truth and with his mathematician mentality, he seeks to document the history of our sport. Truly, he is the Keeper of our Tales. This is not an easy task, think about it. What an important role and what a daunting task it would be to suss out each person’s perspective, stir it together and distill what may be the Truth. Such is the task of the great historian, eh?

I wish to thank him for his significant contribution and I encourage you all to add your story to it. Read the tales. Notice and relish in the care that has gone into the whole and the minute details. Somebody had to do it, and no one could do it better.

Thank you Stefan. Thank all of you for your sharing of your stories. I can’t wait to read them all.
  6. Ram

Ram

Yes, the Ramblings story is deeply thoughtful, nuanced and wonderfully written. I almost don't know where to start, in commenting on it, with so much one could comment on. Just wonderful.

Jenny's tale has the same excellence, as it dances back and forth thru time.

The Squeeze story is so under stated as to to missed, the significance of what was done

All 3 of these are AWESOME. I am sure the others are too and am enthused to read them all. Thanks Stefan
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
    stefan and 2065toyota like this.
  7. Jenny

Jenny

woops. Technical error in my brain.
  8. Jenny

Jenny

Ram: The Squeeze story is so under stated as to to missed, the significance of what was done.

Oh yes! Righto Ramoo, I did miss mentioning Steve Allen's tale. Bow down and hat off to that fella and a great writer he is. A man with a massive resume of canyon descents, books, historical discoveries, and more. He's no "one trick pony", that's for certainly.

I do believe he was the original Ghosting Technique Master (of the slot canyons). WHO YA GONNA CALL?!?!?!
    mattwilliams, stefan and Ram like this.
  9. stefan

stefan wandering utahn

thank you for the undeservedly kind words, it means a lot, but all credit and attention should go to the people who live and write the stories and to the explorers of canyons whose experiences aspire and inspire. a deep thanks to all who share these.
    Ram likes this.
  10. ratagonia

ratagonia

I'd like to bring attention back to this article, Old Ramblings by Mike Bogart. Maybe I missed it back in August, but it sure makes for a great read NOW!

Old Ramblings

Teaser:

Old Ramblings
    by Mike Bogart
    I am new to the canyoneering community. I am not new to canyoneering. I starting my canyon travels in the mid 1970s, principally with Dennis Turville and Jenny West (Hall, at the time) along with some others. I did not always behave in an environmentally friendly way towards the canyons. I did not report any of my descents. This is an explanation of how I began exploring canyons.

• Evolving Sport •
    First, I would like to comment on what I see happening today in the canyon world from an historical perspective. I have nothing new to add by way of techniques, ‘best practices,’ ethics, routes, or present ideology.

Canyoneering has significantly evolved since the 70s and, I think, in a good way. Mostly due to individuals and associations concerned about the impacts of what has become a popular sport. It has not always been so. There are now government restrictions, self imposed ‘best practices,’ and unwritten rules. Regulated access is becoming more common. For some reason, that I don’t quite understand, there was a gap in the progress of canyoneering from when I started in the 70s until the 90s when it got more popular. I don’t think my silence had any effect then and doesn’t now. I believe that there is no justification to assert that what WASN’T SAID affected what WASN’T DONE. The reason for the hiatus might be that no one thought to do it. Simple. It was a stretch of the imagination back then and still is now, at least for the uninitiated. There are reasons why canyoneering evolved into what it is today and why it took its own pace getting here ... and they have nothing to do with a few secretive misfit adventurers. It is because the sport is a dangerous, intricate, equipment intensive, highly specialized, physically demanding, mentally confounding, multifaceted, committing sport that is difficult to master and fraught with perils and pitfalls. It has matured at its own pace, much like mountaineering did in the early 20th century. Modern canyoneers are better equipped, more knowledgeable, more thoughtful, more resourceful, more environmentally respectful, equally courageous, more open, and have greater ambition. That being said ...

(there's more, a lot more)
    stefan, Jenny, Kuenn and 1 other person like this.
  11. Kuenn

Kuenn

(Ref: Old Ramblings by Mike Bogart)

What an enjoyable, thoroughly captivating and chronicled first-hand account. Stirring thoughts and recollections dormant and gathering dust. One almost needs to have experienced a similar exploit to thoroughly appreciate the same. On more than one occasion I felt like I needed an Adventures Glossary or Hitchhiker's Guide to Exploration to fully appreciate and grasp his narrative.

Never seen it in print but couldn't help but mentally fist bump the "put your confidence in those that would rather be somewhere else" for the best rescuer's skill set. As well as laughed out loud.

Loved it!
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    stefan, Ram and Jenny like this.
  12. stefan

stefan wandering utahn

Canyon Tales Ad. 9

as we descend into winter, it’s time for another addition of canyon tales. the motivation for the canyon tales site came from two sources. one was delving through the early discussions in the archives of the canyons group. another was the profound effect people’s trip reports, tales, accident accounts, and explorations had on me. i found reading these accounts to be a compelling source of experience, ideas, wisdom, perspective, and humor that captivated my imagination at the possibilities, helped me to learn, and kept my head more in the game when i was away from the canyons ... and, i thought, others would find something for themselves in all of this.

so in this spirit comes another addition of canyon tales … there are many tales in winter, including an outstanding short film by Dan Ransom. although i will let the tales speak for themselves, i would like to mention that numerous tales of Ram’s have been added in this addition. in the beginning, he was the first person to graciously give me permission to include his tales on the site. i would like to acknowledge and deeply thank Ram for sharing his experiences and experience as prolifically as he does--whether it be in text or with folks in the canyons. many thanks!

i would also like to thank Dave Pimental for his help on this project these past 10 years.

thanks to all for writing about their experiences,

enjoy reading the tales …

stefan
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    Jenny, Kuenn, Ram and 1 other person like this.
  13. Kuenn

Kuenn

These articles "jems" are just what the doc ordered for the coming wintry days/nights.

“I’m not PREPARED for this.”
    “I don’t have a drybag for my ciggs!”

(excerpt from: Another Ram Moment by Dave Pimental)

Can honestly say I've never heard that complaint phrased that way before...priceless!
    Ram, Jenny and stefan like this.
  14. stefan

stefan wandering utahn

i would like to mention that i have added two additional tales to the latest addition of canyon tales. i had originally intended to include these engaging tales in the latest addition but for various reasons and in haste to avoid the holidays i didn't ... but i am thrilled to add them retroactively.

please enjoy the newly added tales ...

Sandthrax Solo - Scott Card & Steven Jackson
    A Christmas Heaps - Tom Jones

which can be found on the 'new' tales page
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    Dan Ransom likes this.
  15. stefan

stefan wandering utahn

i have been following the discoveries of the mars rover opportunity since it landed in 2004. over the years on canyon tales i've been adding a collection of images of the sandstone landscapes on mars taken by opportunity and curiosity rovers illustrating that long-said idea that mars would look like the colorado plateau (see the following link)

link: sandstone landscapes on mars

celebrating opportunity's 5352 days on mars :twothumbs:

panamintbutte. NaukluftPlateau6.
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2019 at 11:58 AM
    Sam G, mattwilliams and Kuenn like this.