Send us a suggestion!

Canyon shoes - hot tip !

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by Koen, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Koen

Koen Guest

Tired of shredding Canyoneers ? Due to an availability problem here in Europe I had to go look for alternatives. I ended up trying a shoe from the same 5.10 brand called High Impact. It was made as a freeride mountainbike shoe (if you wonder what freeriding is, it's hucking your mountainbike off impossibly steep terrein and drops) but it hasn't got cleats, just a plain sole.

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/6181008/c/34250.html

It's the same rubber as the Canyoneer so equal in grip, but it's 10 times more of a shoe: - fit & walking comfort: top, no comparison with Canyoneers - ankle protection: great, much better - sturdyness: we're using & renting them out for a month now, all shoes are in top shape. No stitches loose, no soles unglued... - looks: here we have a real problem ! When we gave the shoes to our best guides as a present, several of them took one look at them, walked around in them for the evening... and went out to the shop to buy a pair of Canyoneers at their own expense !?! They said no way they were going to trash such a pair of beautiful and super- comfortable shoes in canyons :).

Downsides: - don't drain that easily, are a lot "heavier" on the feet. Advantage of that is that they're noticeably warmer in ice-cold canyons. - dry slowly once wet

If you use them a lot in wet canyons it might be interesting to make a few drainholes in them.

Koen
  2. Malia

Malia Guest

Do they make a womens version? We mountain bike too! I need some new shoes. Do any of you women have recommendations/reviews for me?

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Koen" <pocoloco@...> wrote:
    Tired of shredding Canyoneers ? Due to an availability problem here > in Europe I had to go look for alternatives. I ended up trying a > shoe from the same 5.10 brand called High Impact. > It was made as a freeride mountainbike shoe (if you wonder what > freeriding is, it's hucking your mountainbike off impossibly steep > terrein and drops) but it hasn't got cleats, just a plain sole.
    http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/6181008/c/34250.html
    > It's the same rubber as the Canyoneer so equal in grip, but it's 10 > times more of a shoe: > - fit & walking comfort: top, no comparison with Canyoneers > - ankle protection: great, much better > - sturdyness: we're using & renting them out for a month now, all > shoes are in top shape. No stitches loose, no soles unglued... > - looks: here we have a real problem ! When we gave the shoes to our > best guides as a present, several of them took one look at them, > walked around in them for the evening... and went out to the shop to > buy a pair of Canyoneers at their own expense !?! They said no way > they were going to trash such a pair of beautiful and super- > comfortable shoes in canyons :).
    Downsides: > - don't drain that easily, are a lot "heavier" on the feet. > Advantage of that is that they're noticeably warmer in ice-cold > canyons. > - dry slowly once wet
    If you use them a lot in wet canyons it might be interesting to make > a few drainholes in them.
    Koen >
  3. Koen

Koen Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Malia" <msmnificent@...> wrote:
    Do they make a womens version? We mountain bike too! I need some new > shoes. Do any of you women have recommendations/reviews for me? >

They're not the "classic" mtb shoes (the kind with cleats underneath, where there exist special woman models) - but the women who chuck themselves and their bikes of 20ft cliffs or go play in bike parks are rare :), so I don't suppose they make a special women's model...