Send us a suggestion!

Canyon Recommendations East of ZNP?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chad J, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Chad J

Chad J

I’m looking for a non-techinical slot canyon near Mt. Carmel (we’ll be staying in Mt. Carmel the night before) that would be appropriate for a group of novice scouts during the last week in June. Something outside ZNP boundaries would be ideal. Beginner obstacles requiring partner assists would be great. Anyone have any recommendations/beta? Thanks.
  2. Jolly Green

Jolly Green

I know just south of Mt Carmel is a short non-technical route called Red Canyon or Peek-a-boo. I've never done it but have wanted to for awhile. Sounds like you might need the right kind of vehicle to get there though as there is a lot of deep sand on the drive in. Just google Peek a boo canyon.

If you want to try a technical canyon- Diana's throne would work. It's right off 89 just south of Mt Carmel. If you do the technical version most of the rappels are short, it is mostly bolted, and is very straightforward. I read a trip report awhile ago of a group reversing the route- they started at the bottom and climbed up the canyon with their kids. I think there is a bypass for literally every rappel. I did the technical route with my wife and kids a few years ago (ages 5 and 2 at the time) and they did great. Beta is on roadtripryan.com I believe. It is pretty and is a good half day canyon. Doing the bottom up would probably fit what you are looking for. Hope that helps.
  3. ratagonia

ratagonia

If you don't need it "outside the Park", climbing UP Shelf Canyon could be good. Shelf is the slot canyon running north from the Tunnel East (upper) main Parking Lot (not the smaller parking lot adjacent to the bridge). Sounds like it could be ideal, probably 1-2 hours, entirely shaded after the first 5 minutes.

Tom