Send us a suggestion!

Canyon Pen

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bhunte2, Oct 12, 2020.

1. bhunte2

bhunte2

Last weekend, I was running canyons in the North Wash. We hit Shilleagh canyon and it had these cables running across on the left fork. I have run several canyons in the area and I have not seen this. I am curious why they have cables running acrossed the canyon. I assume it is to keep the cows and burrows out. Another observation, it appears they have been updated since the rusty ones have been removed.Also curious is this the standard ethic for the area or is it because the cows like the water up this canyon?!

Brandon [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
  2. Fat Canyoner

Fat Canyoner T2

Bloody hell. That's a very messy job of cutting the old bolds and gluing the new ones. I've got no idea about the reason for it or local ethic, but it seems like both actions could have been done more carefully and sympathetically.
  3. ratagonia

ratagonia

Last season, a cow or two wandered up there and could not get out. Became gross. So this 'improvement' was made.

The slopiness of this does not fit in with "our" outdoor ethic, but it is consistent with the ethic of those who run cattle in the area. Which in the interest of living with people who have somewhat different ethics than our own, we should respect and let be. Most of the people that do the canyon are capable of climbing over or through the cables without difficulty.

Bonus: it will, presumably, prevent us having to deal with cow carcasses in this canyon.

Tom
    Jason Linder and bhunte2 like this.
  4. bhunte2

bhunte2

Makes sense. It appears there was been a few curious cows before last year since the this new addition has been updated.

"Which in the interest of living with people who have somewhat different ethics than our own, we should respect and let be. Most of the people that do the canyon are capable of climbing over or through the cables without difficulty" Tom[/QUOTE]

Removing them is not what I am after, I was just genuinely curious.

Thanks

Brandon

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Yellow Dart likes this.
  5. Jason Linder

Jason Linder

Well said. If we could only find a way to apply this in the many other conflicts we often find ourselves in.
    Dan H and ratagonia like this.
  6. Downward Bound

Downward Bound

Helps prevent this, which I encountered a few days ago in Rock Canyon, just across the Colorado River from North Wash.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yellow Dart and bhunte2 like this.