Send us a suggestion!

Canyon nutrition - home made energy bars

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by John Welch, May 15, 2007.

1. John Welch

John Welch Guest

For those of you who are really cheap (isn't cheap and canyoneer synonymous?), here's a recipe for home made energy bars. They're easy to make and pretty tasty.

The split of carbs:protein:fat isn't exactly perfect, but its pretty close to the usual 30:20:20 used. I add some salt and KCL (salt substitute) for electrolyte replacement as well.

There are a couple other recipes I tried, but this is what I've come back to. It is easier than the others. I'd post the other couple I tried, but I can't find them now

Ingredients

1 cup corn syrup 1-1½ tablespoons sugar 1 cup crunchy peanut butter 1 tablespoon cocoa 1 teaspoon cinnamon 1 teaspoon salt ½ teaspoon KCl (salt substitute) 1 cup protein powder (available at health food stores) 2-3 cups oats (enough to make appropriate consistency) Chocolate chips and Marshmallows Steps to make Thoroughly mix everything but the oats, chocolate chips and marshmallows. Add oats until you get a stiff consistency. Add chocolate chips and marshmallows to taste and fold them in. Press mixture out on a piece of Saran-wrap on a cookie sheet. Dust with quick oats to absorb moisture on surface. Refrigerate 1+ hrs and cut into bars to keep in plastic bags. Bars keep best if refrigerated.

http://canyonwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Snacks.

John