Send us a suggestion!

Campfires at North Wash

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scott Patterson, Aug 16, 2020.

1. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

FYI, there are signs at Sandthrax Campsite saying that campfires are no longer allowed. The signs make it sound permanent rather than just a temporary fire ban?

It summer now so I don't know why anyone would want a campfire, but for something like freezefest, this might require a change.
    Kevin and Bill like this.
  2. Canyonero

Canyonero

I didn't see any campfire at Freezefest. I don't know what you're talking about. That little thing? No one is going to notice that.
  3. Dan Ransom

Dan Ransom Staff Member

Any one have an update on this? Is it too early to talk about Freeze Fest? Ha.
  4. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

I have been told that the posted rule is now that fires have to be in BLM approved firepit.
    ratagonia and Dan Ransom like this.
  5. Canyonero

Canyonero

I camped there for Fall Break. We had a fire in a firepit. I don't think the "no campfires" signs outlaw that. I mean, why put up signs and install firepits at the same time if you can't use them? Hopefully they'll put in a pit toilet soon. That'd be nice.

I guess no more 40 foot long campfire at Freezefest though eh? Although if you bring enough fire blankets....
  6. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

There was a statewide fire ban at the time.
  7. Flatiron

Flatiron

There are 2 signs at Sandthrax, actually 3 if you include the Covid19 warning sign. One sign says No Campfires. The other is a longer detailed list covering several things and which specifically states: fires are ONLY allowed (not exact wording) in concrete or metal firepits. Sandthrax has about 5-6 metal fire pits which were installed a few years ago I think. And a bunch of places where people piled stones or nothing and had fires - which are not legal per the sign.

PS: I swear I saw a port a potty at Sandthrax last Spring - was not camping there but drove by and saw it. In middle of camp up back towards the hillside. Figured BLM or someone had finally got their s--- together and put one in - but no potty this Fall.
    Scott Patterson likes this.
  8. ratagonia

ratagonia

These events happened at different times.

Sandthrax campsite is on a flood plain. They do not install pit toilets on flood plains.

If anything, the solution would be to create a campsite nearby, somewhere else, and try to get all the boaters and hunters to camp there, leaving Sandthrax to wee canyoneers...

Tom
    Canyon Cleb and Ram like this.
  9. Canyonero

Canyonero

That one down the road at Hog Canyon isn't on a flood plain?
  10. ratagonia

ratagonia

Correct. It is not.

It is the washes behind the Sandthrax campsite that flood it.

Tom
  11. Ram

Ram

Yes the washes do flood the site. The one by the FreezeFest fire pit does it the most. We have seen camps destroyed and even cars moved 30 yards. Priceless. BUT the main North Wash can and HAS flooded all the way through the camp, on a least two occasion, one of them just a few years back. Solidly in a flood plain, a toilet is not gonna happen, nor should it.
    Always comes back to talkin poo.
    R
    Kevin and Bootboy like this.
  12. Canyon Cleb

Canyon Cleb

I agree with Ram that there shouldn't be one there. I feel like with the Hog Springs bathroom there's no need for a Sandthrax one. Just prevents a lot of issues that come along with that.

This is totally an opinion but I feel like the sign about the fires is mostly there to prevent people that don't know what they're doing from having them. Granted I doubt that works. I also feel like it inadvertently prevents people from breaking stuff off trees to have a fire because they ran outta wood. I feel like if you're responsible with it and you aren't trying to light the sky on fire it should be all good (looking at you FreezeFest ;)).
    ratagonia likes this.