Send us a suggestion!

Cameras tough enough for the canyons

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by Alane Urban, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Alias_Rice

Alias_Rice

Thanks guys, seems like the TG-4 is the way to go.
  2. Dan Ransom

Dan Ransom Staff Member

Ha. I will say in hand that TG-4 is really a nice camera to use. I did just review all the RAW photos from it from our Mexico trip though, and it is not a magic bullet by any stretch. But, no P&S is.

I'd love to play with an AW1 for something a bit bigger. Might have some advantages over the A6000/housing I'm using now. The A6000 is super burly, waterproof, and the whole kit is like 800 bucks with the chinese housings from amazon. I did just decenter a lens though in Mexico because the guide threw my pack off a 15 foot jump. At that height, you probably want to start lowering stuff that has moving parts.

I also used to shoot a canon powershot in a waterproof housing, and that image quality is very good as well (better than a TG-4), and fairly compact, but not nearly as small as a TG-4.
  3. Canyonero

Canyonero

One other option is to take your iPhone. I put mine in a dustproof, waterproof, shockproof case and tuck it in the top of my wetsuit. The pictures aren't the best, but I get plenty of them because I can keep it so handy.

No moving parts to get gummed up with sand and you can drop it a long way and still have a working camera.
  4. ratagonia

ratagonia

Helps to attach a float to it, so WHEN you drop it, it does not sink out of sight.

Tom
    Yellow Dart likes this.
  5. Canyonero

Canyonero

You haven't lived until you've gone diving in potholes for dropped cameras!

My last drop was actually a water pocket. Who knew they didn't float? :)
  6. hank moon

hank moon lovely ligatures

7. townsend

townsend

hank moon likes this.
  8. Sutitan

Sutitan

Heres an early review I found

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-ts7-ft7

Im in the market to buy one of these camera really soon since lugging around a dslr in a pelican case gets old fast. With this being recently announced, Im a bit on the fence, but im just slightly leaning towards the TG-5. The TG-5 can shoot raw, smaller pixels (typically low light), and a wider aperature. The OIS and viewfinder are nice on the TS7, but I didnt see anything that would push me over the edge to consider the TS7 for almost $100 more.
    townsend likes this.
  9. W.B.

W.B.

Does the newest Olympus still make zoom and focus noise during video recording?

The new Panasonic lacks GPS.

I've had a number of Pentax and Panasonic waterproof cameras through the years. I suggest taping over any access doors/latches to reduce the chances of water ingress.
  10. Sutitan

Sutitan

I believe folded optics still tend to have issues with focus noise and strange glaring from time to time. I dont the the TG-5 has fixed either of those "issues". In regards to GPS, alot of canyons have bad GPS signal to begin with, and it tends to drain batteries a bit quicker. I guess it could be a useful feature if you want to try set up waypoints for a canyon or something, but I dont find it a deal breaker by any means.

As I mentioned, ill probably be getting a TG-5 hopefully before memorial day to bring into some canyons with me this memorial day weekend in Zion. Hoping it preforms well in low light.
    Tom Collins likes this.
  11. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

I’ve got a tg 5, I haven’t done a lot of low light work with it, but it does seem to do better than the Panasonic ts 6 I had.
  12. 2065toyota

2065toyota

I've been using a TG4 which just broke and it was replaced with a TG5.
  13. Yellow Dart

Yellow Dart It's only hubris if I fail.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    townsend likes this.
  14. townsend

townsend

Yep. I was getting ready to add, and will now, that Dpreview -- as the titles suggests -- previews cameras before they are released. And after they are released, it chooses some to review.