Send us a suggestion!

Cameras tough enough for the canyons

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by Alane Urban, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Is that an X slot?

Still using my Sony DSC-TX5. Bit banged up, and I had to superglue some parts on the cover, but it still works great.
  2. dweaver2130

dweaver2130 Canyoneering Duo from AZ

So we purchased the TG-2 and brought it to freeze fest this year. We loved it! It takes amazing shots as everyone has suggested and pretty tough. We will be purchasing a lens cover to keep that protected when we are not taking pictures.
  3. Barnes

Barnes

I also sir the Nikon aw100. Got it at Sams club for like 200. I have take it through das boot/subway and mystery canyon so far. Very impressed with picture quality and the hd video. It did seem to get a bit foggy every once in awhile but a quick dip in the water cleared it right up. It says it is shock proof but haven't tested that yet.
  4. Barnes

Barnes

Sorry for misspelled words or typos.
  5. Mike Rogers

Mike Rogers

Rich (or anyone!)--did you get the Nikon 1 AW1? Need to replace that TG-2 that got run over by a Jeep sometime in the next couple of weeks, and while I was quite happy with the TG-2, that Nikon is intriguing...
  6. Rich Rudow

Rich Rudow

Mike, I've been trying to buy a Nikon 1 AW1. Can't find it in stock anywhere! I would send that TG-2 back on warranty. Can't survive a Jeep? C'mon!!!

Rich
  7. wsbpress

wsbpress

Does anyone have any updated recommendations/reports on a waterproof camera? The models mentioned in this thread are a few years old now.

The pictures thread on this forum has been pretty amazing lately and I'd like to up my game photography-wise. Also my previous camera is deceased.
  8. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

My TG-2 is still going strong after a year and a half and ~50 canyons. No complaints. I just rain-x the lens between trips.
    wsbpress likes this.
  9. clangingsymbol01

clangingsymbol01

Did Spry with a group of friends last week. A buddy lost his smart phone in one of the deep pools...sunk right to the bottom out of sight! I guess all he would recommend is getting something that floats!!! Need to add that to the list of rugged...water proof...etc!!!
  10. townsend

townsend

Rich, have you checked user reviews at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Waterpr...F8&qid=1435282054&sr=8-2&keywords=nikon 1 aw1

Overall, 3.5 stars, which is fairly middle-of-the-road. For a camera that cost ~700 -- a princely sum in my world -- that is too low for comfort, esp. when some of the complaints are about leaking.:jawdrop:
  11. 2065toyota

2065toyota

I'm still using the Fuji XP's. Have 3 of them of, 1 of them 4 years old now. Case is totally thrashed from from probably 80 canyons and numerous backpacking trips. It's still waterproof and takes decent pics.

The Heaps picture featured on the homepage was with a 4 year old thrashed point and shoot. Best is that they are $170 at walmart and you can buy an extended no questions asked warranty for like $15.
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  12. wsbpress

wsbpress

My previous camera was a Fuji XP and I had no complaints. It's demise was certainly user error as it was subjected to shock conditions far above the rated levels.

I am currently leaning towards one of the Olympus TG's (2/3/4) because it has a wider aperture which, if I understand correctly, should help in low-light conditions. The cheapskate part of me wants to get the Nikon S33 though.
  13. CRNPRES

CRNPRES

I have Fuji X something also - takes good canyon pictures in dynamic mode (I am not a photographer so my opinion of a good picture may be, in fact, very poor). I store my in a small pelican case on a sling of webbing on my chest. The small pelican cases are not really waterproof, but keeps me from beating it up and I have it on a leash so I can pop it out of the case without worrying about dropping it.

Here's a shot from Quandary last week.

[​IMG]
  14. Rich Rudow

Rich Rudow

I've been using the 1 AW1 for about 18 months so I didn't get the benefit of those reviews. It's by far the best waterproof camera I've owned. I've heard about leaking issues, and I've had a few instances of condensation that were resolved by opening the doors in the sun, but so far it's performed well. I treat it rather carefully but it's wet often. The sensor size is unbeatable in the waterproof class if you want good low light photos. Unfortunately, I've been through 8 or 10 waterproof cameras over the years so I've become resigned to the fact that they all fail way too fast. The 1 AW1 has lasted longer than most.

Here is one tip I've used on all of my waterproof cameras with good results: I open the doors and use scotch tape on the seals and seal mating surface before each trip. It removes fine debris that can cause a water leak.
    Bill, townsend and wsbpress like this.
  15. Alias_Rice

Alias_Rice

Bump

For those of you with waterproof cameras, what would you suggest for a true point and shoot? I will probably never use any other functions other than pulling it out, snapping a photo or video and putting it away. For a guy like me who will only use auto mode is it still worth it to spend $300 on say the Olympus TG-4, or will one of the various ~$150 cameras take just as good of shots?

I am guessing the nicer ones have a better sensor, but is it noticeable in auto mode?
  16. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

I have a panasonic TS5 that takes great pics, the newer model TS6 is basically the same but cheaper for around 200$
  17. wsbpress

wsbpress

I went with the TG-4 and I've been really happy with it. In canyons I just use auto mode and it does a fine job. The shots seem to turn out better than my previous waterproof yellow Fuji. The camera has some other fine features which I use... but typically not when canyoneering.

Here are some of my favorite shots from the TG-4. They are just fast point-and-shoot shots in auto mode. A real photographer could do much better with it.

OI000135.

OI000016.

PC310439.JPG
  18. Dan Ransom

Dan Ransom Staff Member

I poked around the TG-4 this past week in Mexico, and I was very impressed. It has a lot going for it, wide lens with a fast aperture, slightly bigger sensor with better low light performance. Can shoot RAW if you ever want to get more fancy.

FWIW.
    Rapterman, Mike Rogers and wsbpress like this.
  19. Yellow Dart

Yellow Dart It's only hubris if I fail.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DSC-TX30...1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Waterproof, crash proof (5' drops onto concrete, nothing), 18mp, 1080@60i, touchscreen that works with wet neoprene gloves, and the way it turns on/off (slide the cover) makes cold and shaking 5mm gloved hands fool proof. Plus a load of features which I use from time to time. Here are some shots from the last 6 months, unedited:
    Icebox Coulee 12465816_762648544756_7890140894371399220_o.

Corral Multipitch DSC01236.JPG

Pine Creek, basic
    DSC01457.JPG

Boundary, Speedcross my go-to
    DSC01439.JPG

Boundary, sick flow bruh DSC01444.JPG

Exit of Cherry, down in the Gorge
    12628557_765059074036_8180548324706926531_o.
  20. Mike Rogers

Mike Rogers

I'm carrying the Nikon 1 AW1 most of the time now (since running over my TG-1 with a jeep), but for compact point and shoot, the TG-x series is great. At a few points during recent trips, I'd wished I'd had something more compact to quickly stow away when the going got unexpectedly sporty.

One thing that makes it stand apart from the slightly lower-priced compacts is the fast lens which I find well-suited to sunlight-challenged slots. I also like being able to screw a filter on for lens protection.

My friend's TG-1 just crapped out on a trip a couple months ago (after a few years and some reasonable abuse) and Olympus gave him a refurbished TG-3 in exchange for $50. Not a shabby deal.

Plus, if Dan Ransom likes it, it's worth a look!
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
    ratagonia, EvergreenDean and wsbpress like this.