Send us a suggestion!

Buckskin Gulch on Nov 29th

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by eastpack217, Nov 19, 2009.

1. eastpack217

eastpack217 Guest

I am planning to do Buckskin Gulch on Nov 29th. Although I have done a slot canyon (Zion Narrows) before, not this time of the year. I found some very useful info on this forum but had a few Qs-

1. Clothing/shoes - I will put on neoprene socks and quick drying clothes. I dont have the 5,10 canyoneers shoes but would rent. The water is going to be super cold. May be in 30s. Do I need a wetsuit to do this ? Would I be able to rent gear in Kanab ?

2. Day-hike or over-night - The hike from Wire-Pass to White-house would take 11 hrs. SO if I am there at crack of dawn, I hope to be done before 6 pm. This would mean the last few miles of Paria canyon would be in dark. But thats ok, since I have heard it is not the most scenic part.

The forecast for Nov 28th is a few showers. So I am keeping my fingers crossed.

-Raj
  2. Hi Raj

I've done buckskin both as a day hike and as part of a Paria through hike.

I just got back from Zion this weekend. Did Mystery this past Saturday in a 3/2 wetsuit (I was cold) and a wet Pine Creek Sunday Nov 15 in a semidry suit (comfy) with my partner.

November 29 will be a short day. On the other had, the start of Buckskin is amazing. I think it is best to make use of the full day and plan to start hiking with dawn's first light. You'll have some trouble with that if you are relying on a commercial shuttle unless you camp at the trail head. I found the power lines across paria a very helpful land mark which you may or may not be able to see as you head back to the Whitehouse trail head. I would recommend a gps with the trail head (or car) marked as a way point so you can navigate there in the dark. Also a back up headlight might definitely be useful.

One of the impressive things about Buckskin is how rugged it it. It is a very long 11 miles. Day hike gear will definitely make this easier.

Regarding clothing, you might consider dry pants with latex cuffs or a semidry suit for the canyon with the neoprene socks.

Don't bother if rain is in the forecast. There really is no safe ground in there.

Enjoy

Ken Steinsapir
  3. Bill

Bill Guest

Raj,

Some love Buckskin, others don't. We absolutely adore it and head there every year for an autumn overnight from Wire Pass to White House. We just did it on Halloween this year and dealt with rather chilly water and deep, thick, oozing, and slippery mud that constantly attempts to remove your shoes. We waded 4 or 5 short sections ("boys" deep on a 6 foot person)and it wasn't horrible (bring at least one good hiking staff with large basket.) The overnight temps then were considerably warmer than you will deal with. There has also been rain and snow in the area since then, so you will probably have deeper water than we did.

2 years ago we did a romp through on Thanksgiving weekend and the first day was amazing. Low 20's in the parking lot in the morning and a beautiful dry hike to the campsite (yours will NOT be dry). The next day was rather painful as the thigh deep water was in the low 30's with ice flows. (This year unfortunately we dealt with 3 or 4 chest to neck deep sections of the Paria river within the first mile upstream from Buckskin.

Expect a beautiful canyon hike, but be warned! It will be SHOCKINGLY cold, you won't see the sun except for 30-60 minutes of the day, the mud will slow you down and you shouldn't be in excruciating pain until after starting up the Paria river. Aside from all that, have a blast.

(YMMV)

Bill

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, Kenneth Steinsapir <kenstein@...> wrote:
    Hi Raj
    I've done buckskin both as a day hike and as part of a Paria through > hike.
    I just got back from Zion this weekend. Did Mystery this past > Saturday in a 3/2 wetsuit (I was cold) and a wet Pine Creek Sunday Nov > 15 in a semidry suit (comfy) with my partner.
    November 29 will be a short day. On the other had, the start of > Buckskin is amazing. I think it is best to make use of the full day > and plan to start hiking with dawn's first light. You'll have some > trouble with that if you are relying on a commercial shuttle unless > you camp at the trail head. I found the power lines across paria a > very helpful land mark which you may or may not be able to see as you > head back to the Whitehouse trail head. I would recommend a gps with > the trail head (or car) marked as a way point so you can navigate > there in the dark. Also a back up headlight might definitely be useful.
    One of the impressive things about Buckskin is how rugged it it. It > is a very long 11 miles. Day hike gear will definitely make this > easier.
    Regarding clothing, you might consider dry pants with latex cuffs or a > semidry suit for the canyon with the neoprene socks.
    Don't bother if rain is in the forecast. There really is no safe > ground in there.
    Enjoy
    Ken Steinsapir >