Send us a suggestion!

Buckskin gulch conditions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by spinesnaper, Apr 19, 2018.

1. spinesnaper

spinesnaper

I am hiking Wirepass to Lee's Ferry starting May 15. I have heard reports of large amounts of wood debris in the canyon. Wondering if any one who has been through there recently can provide a first hand report. Thanks

Ken
  2. deathtointernet

deathtointernet

I can't give a firsthand account, but sort of close. I just got back from four days down the Paria but we started at White House due to the conditions in Buckskin (had a first time backpacker with me and didn't want her to have an awful time). We met several groups that came down Buckskin. First group had a guy who busted his knee and they were bailing out through the upper Paria instead of going down to Lee's. They reported seven or eight chest deep pools of cold water and they did say that they had a section where they had to crawl over floating log debris, and reported it was pretty miserable. The way they described it made it sound pretty Imlay-esque. Apparently there was a guy with a wetsuit on a dayhike they met who bailed at that point. Also met a group of ten who had gone through, reported similar conditions, took them two days, camping above the Middle Route. Brought pool toys to float packs (and the shortest member of their group) across pools and that slowed them down but worked pretty well. Guess the worst water is between the Middle Route and the boulder jam. Hope that helps.
    spinesnaper likes this.
  3. spinesnaper

spinesnaper

Sounds absolutely gruesome. I’ve done my share of early season slogging in there. Here’s to hoping things dry out over the next month. The good news is that the route gets lots of traffic so hopefully I will get more up dates closer to my mid May departure.
  4. 2065toyota

2065toyota

Not Bucksin, but we were in Bull Valley Gorge over the weekend and it was full of water and deep mud. Typical spring conditions in both it sounds like.
  5. spinesnaper

spinesnaper

Bump. I know the answer already but I am always interested in recent beta on Buckskin. I am hiking on May 15. The weather looks a whole lot better out there than a month ago. Ultimately you get what you get. I plan to hike in 1 mm neoprene pants and have a matching top. My pack is rigged for swimming. Hoping for dry conditions but you have to be ready for a swim or two.
    Ken
    2065toyota likes this.