Send us a suggestion!

Buckskin Gulch conditions?

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Jimmy Olsson, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Jimmy Olsson

Jimmy Olsson

Hi!
    My wife and I are planning to hike Buckskin Gulch within a few days. We're planning to hike from Wire pass then back the same way (half day hike). We're wondering about the water conditions in the canyon, has anybody here been there recently and could give us some intel? :)

Also if someone here have plans to go there we would gladly join up since we've never been there.

Take care!
  2. danf

danf

Not sure if you already went, but some conditions from earlier this month below:

We did the first 6 miles of Wire Pass-Buckskin on 1 Sep. to fill an afternoon after driving back from White Pocket. Only got wet in a knee-deep pool around mile 3; the rest were avoidable. At mile 6 (not too long after the boulder pile), there was a large, unavoidable thigh-deep pool with boot-swallowing mud at the bottom. We just turned around here because we were running low on daylight.

I'd be curious to know what conditions were like after you've gone through – there were some big late-season rains in the vicinity a couple weeks ago.
  3. ratagonia

ratagonia

It rained for a good hour last night, here in Mt Carmel, about 40 miles west of Buckskin. Big clouds in the sky today, though the threatened storm failed to materialize. So I suspect it might be wetter than Dan's report.

Then again, it could be dryer...

T
    danf likes this.