Send us a suggestion!

UT: Zion Brown Canyon

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by MTN_DUDE, Mar 4, 2013.

1. MTN_DUDE

MTN_DUDE

Finally got out and explored another Grand Staircase canyon. This one provided us with a nice section of slot at the end. I played around here the most with the camera, video to come shortly (i hate putting videos together and my editing isn't anything to be amazed about).

The walls of the wash we were in after leaving the car quickly became steep and we found ourselves bushwhacking through the shrubs and bushes. There must've been a fire up there cause all the junipers and pines were reduced to stubble.
    [​IMG]

The Navajo sandstone revealed itself under our feet and said, "Here is the rappel!" Basically there was a small series of not-so-difficult-to-manage potholes and then the fluted drop. We set up a the nice 50' rappel using a choke stone in one hole just above the edge.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

100' down canyon we found the next cliff, another 50' rappel (these are all just guesstimates).
    Here we are setting up the 2nd rappel of the canyon.
    [​IMG]

The canyon was wide open from the top of the canyon to the 3rd rappel. Nothing to significant to note, lots of vegetation.

Oh yeah, so going back to the beginning of the canyon (about 500 yards into it) I stumbled upon a huge elk antler. Of course I strapped it to the pack and carried it the whole way through the canyon.
    [​IMG]

Came in handy to carry loose objects
    [​IMG]

Back to the canyon, there was not much until we found the top of the 3rd rappel. Dropped into a gorgeous slot canyon.

[​IMG]

Sadly at this point we heard other voices, some ATVers had driven up to the mouth of the canyon and walked up the slot. Of course they got even more freaked out when we rapped down!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course we enjoyed some Spam musubi for lunch!
    [​IMG]

The exit was right there at the end of the slot, thankfully. We knew we had the long-haul exit, but luckily right as you leave the slot there is a way to hike up to the top of the Cliff band. Once on top it was just head west until the road and follow the road back north to the car.

Great day out there exploring a new canyon.

Afterwards we found this amazing bouldering area. It's about a half mile long basalt cliff band with tons of potential for bouldering/camping.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Marlowe

Marlowe

Cool photos. That antler is almost as tall as you are! I would hate to come face to face with whoever lost that if he wanted it back.
  3. MTN_DUDE

MTN_DUDE

It made it difficult in the slot canyon, had to use Matrix moves to get through.