Send us a suggestion!

Bringing Back Beartrap... but Briefer?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Yellow Dart, May 13, 2017.

1. VillainousTurtle

VillainousTurtle

Sorry to bump an old thread, but YellowDart, where are you getting such huge elevation gain numbers? Lee pass to Bear Trap is only about 1500 feet or so of gain. Not 4500. Please explain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. Yellow Dart

Yellow Dart It's only hubris if I fail.

You have to summit (or nearly so) Bullpen Mountain up the back side, adding considerable elevation gain to do the whole of it from the top (at least the north fork.)
  3. ratagonia

ratagonia

"Bear Trap" is not a place. It is a canyon, and the top is much higher than the bottom.

T
  4. VillainousTurtle

VillainousTurtle

The lowest point on the La Verkin Creek trail is 4900 feet. The highest point on the pass over Bullpen Mountain is 6600 feet. So total gain is
    1700 feet.
  5. ratagonia

ratagonia

Without specifying a route getting up to the top of Beartrap...

From Lee Pass to where the trail first hits LaVerkin Creek near the falls, the loss/gain is 1040 feet.
    Altitude 5027 feet at LaV Crk nr Falls
    From LaV Crk nr Falls to the Mouth of Beartrap, the loss/gain is 760 feet.
    From the top of the technical part of Beartrap to the Mouth of Beartrap , the loss/gain is 1700 feet.
    I chose a point at 7500 feet as the start of the technical portion. James shows a much higher point.

That is a total of 3500 feet. Your hiking route to the top would not be 100% efficient... so...

Also, James showed his work... so you could discern a lot by looking at his map.

Tom
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    VillainousTurtle likes this.
  6. Yellow Dart

I may have been off by a few hundred feet, but overall, one must not forget the best part of a canyoneering venture: calf-burning ascents.

Btw, lest it be mis-construed, it behooves me to post this pic, showing that what I mean is all in the park - seeing as the land that borders that area is private. Gotta stay inside the purple lines, kids! ^_^

Untitled.
  7. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

You also have elevation gain on the way back to Lee Pass.
  8. deathtointernet

deathtointernet

I feel the hill going up to the pass into Beartrap is worth at least double elevation points. So I'll spot you those few hundred feet for sure. I can never quite explain to folks who haven't done it why that hill is such a bastard, and sometimes I even doubt myself, until I'm on it again. Ugh.
    Yellow Dart likes this.
  9. VillainousTurtle

VillainousTurtle

One more question... has anyone considered exploring the canyon running between the Beartrap WSA and the drop in point off Bullpen? Or as I guess you'd call it, "Upper Beartrap"? Because it looks absolutely awesome, like there are some really deep narrows and possibly good rappels in there.
  10. ratagonia

ratagonia

It has been done. Protected by the private land access issues, being a long way from anywhere, and when you are done with the canyon, you have about a 4-6 hour hike back out to your car. It is good, but not good enough to do again.

Tom
  11. yetigonecrazy1

yetigonecrazy1 yeti in the jungle

I know looks are deceiving but looks pretty impressive from Google Earth

Zion.JPG
  12. Canyonero

Canyonero

Amazing how many places on that list of "untouched canyons" have now been done. I mean, Birch Hollow is on that list and it gets done by tourists every day.
  13. Dan Ransom

Dan Ransom Staff Member

He's referencing Birch Canyon, not Birch Hollow. Definitely still obscure, even today.

upload_2018-4-6_20-9-5.
    hank moon likes this.
  14. hank moon

hank moon lovely ligatures

15. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Yes, this, but I did also mention Burch Hollow (sic) on the list under Orderville side slots. Of course that list is almost 30 years old and Birch Hollow was obscure back then. I still haven't heard of anyone doing those slots into Coalpits. We looked into some of them (sometime around 1990) and they look wild. And steep! I wonder if they get enough drainage to make interesting features.

A few potentially interesting canyons drop in near Oak Creek and the Court of the Patriarchs, but logistics would be a nightmare.

Surely there is still some new stuff left in Zion, if you can solve the nightmarish logistics.

There is at least one canyon in Zion area that I have never heard of anyone going to and it appears to be good slot canyon. It could be one of the longer slot canyons in Zion and is hiding in plain sight. It isn't that hard (comparatively speaking) to get to so either it is being kept secret or has just been ignored. Another one next to it also looks promising, but is shorter. Or maybe they just weren't as good as they appear?
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    yetigonecrazy1 and Yellow Dart like this.
  16. Yellow Dart

I've got my helicopter license if you have the blades...
  17. CRNPRES

CRNPRES

Only way, as Tom stated, is private access which you will be unlikely to get. Only worth doing in heavy snow melt and out Hop makes it a very long day.
  18. yetigonecrazy1

yetigonecrazy1 yeti in the jungle

Yeah, read that.....I live in Asia so wasn't saying it because I was expressing interest in doing it, was merely pointing out something 10,000 miles away looked interesting on satellite photos.
  19. Kip Marshall

Kip Marshall

Scott, it's definitely a 30-year-old-list. Most of your questions have been now answered.
  20. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Kip, have you looked into those slots into Coalpits? They are steep and approaches and exits are long. I've seen some of them from the top, but it doesn't seem that many people would go after those.