Send us a suggestion!

Bridge Mt. Arch

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by ~tanya, Nov 5, 2004.

1. ~tanya

~tanya Guest

I had thought Tom told me that he had to turn back when he went, after loosing the route, and it getting dark (when we were on the Zion shuttle), but I am not known for paying attention. ;) If you were there you would know if he did. :)

I take it the new variations of the route were not on purpose. ;p

We will have Bo with us, and as many times as that man has {{{{jogged}}}} ~~up and down and up and down and up and down~~ that route we should not get lost. That reminds me! I need to sneak those bricks in his pack Sunday when he is not looking so we can keep up with him all day. ;p

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "adkramoo" <adkramoo@a...> wrote: > Wouldn't miss it. > Tom has been to the Arch, with Alicia and Hank, me thinks. They have > a tale to tell. Something about an alpine, plus a couple of hours, > start and checking out new variations of route, on return. To boldly > go...... > R
  2. adkramoo

adkramoo Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "~tanya" <thunderbirdmail@y...> wrote:
    I had thought Tom told me that he had to turn back when he went, after losing the route, > and it getting dark (when we were on the Zion shuttle), but I am not known for paying > attention. ;) If you were there you would know if he did. :)
    I take it the new variations of the route were not on purpose. ;p

I was not there. Not sure if they made it to the Arch proper. Was sure they tried a new variation, on return. Am also sure it was by design, not loss of route. Looking for a shortcut. Would have had one with a loooooooong rope, too!! R
  3. Hank Moon

Hank Moon Guest

Ahhh...the Bridge Mtn. Bumble...fond memories. Here's the short version:

Bumbly start (my fault...) meant it was getting close to dark before we saw the arch. Figgered it'd be a totally dark bumblifest looking for our "new route" down if we walked on to the arch so we turned back w/o actually touching it. It was about dark when Tom started rapping down the cliffs on the south side of Pine Creek. It was totally dark when we realized the route wouldn't go with our little bit of rope. Seemed like going back (sort of) the way we came was the best option, so off we went. Unfortunately, we'd done one rap on the way in, so couldn't exactly reverse the path. Many false up-starts by the meager light of LED headlamps...

Finally found the bowl down into the XXX drainage leading back to Pine Creek. And...a sun-bleached Members Only jacket with fashionable hat (think Alicia took it for the wardrobe...can't remember). Many LED-lit steps later we were back at the car at about 1230 am Monday morning. Nice drive back to Alicia's house, short nap and on to work...or something like that. I decided after that trip I didn't like being on steep, no-trail slickrock after dark with only LED headlamps. Bought all 3 of us some nice n' teeny 6V lithium flashlights for Xmas that year...

Can't wait to go back!

hank

--------------------- The information in this message and/or attachments is intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee and may be confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you have received this e-mail in error and any use of it is prohibited. In such a case please notify the sender and kindly delete this message from your computer and network.

Thank you, Petzl America

4. ~tanya

~tanya Guest

I hope that means you join us when we go! I have heard so much about you Hank. I would love to meet you. There are few men that everyone only says nice things about, but you are one. :)

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Hank Moon" <hmoon@p...> wrote:
    Ahhh...the Bridge Mtn. Bumble...fond memories. Here's the short version:
    Bumbly start (my fault...) meant it was getting close to dark before we > saw the arch. Figgered it'd be a totally dark bumblifest looking for our > "new route" down if we walked on to the arch so we turned back w/o > actually touching it. It was about dark when Tom started rapping down > the cliffs on the south side of Pine Creek. It was totally dark when we > realized the route wouldn't go with our little bit of rope. Seemed like > going back (sort of) the way we came was the best option, so off we > went. Unfortunately, we'd done one rap on the way in, so couldn't > exactly reverse the path. Many false up-starts by the meager light of > LED headlamps...
    Finally found the bowl down into the XXX drainage leading back to Pine > Creek. And...a sun-bleached Members Only jacket with fashionable hat > (think Alicia took it for the wardrobe...can't remember). Many LED-lit > steps later we were back at the car at about 1230 am Monday morning. > Nice drive back to Alicia's house, short nap and on to work...or > something like that. I decided after that trip I didn't like being on > steep, no-trail slickrock after dark with only LED headlamps. Bought all > 3 of us some nice n' teeny 6V lithium flashlights for Xmas that year...
    Can't wait to go back!
    hank
  5. JoeB

JoeB Guest

Not sure when exactly in May, but we're gonna have one hell of a party going to Bridge Mountain! :) It'll be great.

Hank - I don't know if you remember meeting me, but I recognized you at the back country desk and said hi (late September) - I was trading in my Bridge Mountain permit for the Kolob.

Our last Bridge Mountain attempt was foiled by that damn controlled burn! I wasn't going to backpack in a cloud of smoke, so we gave up before we started. -Joe
  6. ~tanya

~tanya Guest

~innocent smile~

I think everyone needs to have a dose of Joe at least once. Bo still talks about you and your dad! You are both characters. Just a warning everyone! Joe had Bo laughing so hard he almost fell off Lady Mountain! :)

Do not get Joe going near the steep parts!

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "JoeB" <joe@c...> wrote:
    Not sure when exactly in May, but we're gonna have one hell of a > party going to Bridge Mountain! :) It'll be great.
    Hank - I don't know if you remember meeting me, but I recognized you > at the back country desk and said hi (late September) - I was > trading in my Bridge Mountain permit for the Kolob.
    Our last Bridge Mountain attempt was foiled by that damn controlled > burn! I wasn't going to backpack in a cloud of smoke, so we gave up > before we started. -Joe
  7. adkramoo

adkramoo Guest

> Our last Bridge Mountain attempt was foiled by that damn controlled > burn! I wasn't going to backpack in a cloud of smoke, so we gave up > before we started. -Joe

Are you talking about a trip to the Arch? Or trying to summit the peak? Assuming you were in for an overnight, thus the permit. True? Have tried the peak. Objective dangers!!! Ram
  8. JoeB

JoeB Guest

I don't think I'm hardcore enough to go to the summit, we're just looking at the arch. And you're right, our permit was for the overnight, we were hoping to take our time and explore Hepworth and Stevens more. We'll probably do the arch as a long painful day hike next time. So did you make it to the summit or attempt it? It sounds like you have a good painful story to share... :)

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "adkramoo" <adkramoo@a...> wrote:
    > Our last Bridge Mountain attempt was foiled by that damn controlled
    burn! I wasn't going to backpack in a cloud of smoke, so we gave up
    before we started. -Joe
    Are you talking about a trip to the Arch? Or trying to summit the > peak? Assuming you were in for an overnight, thus the permit. True? > Have tried the peak. Objective dangers!!! > Ram
  9. adkramoo

adkramoo Guest

We'll probably do the arch as a long painful day hike > next time. So did you make it to the summit or attempt it? It > sounds like you have a good painful story to share... :)

The long painful day is much less so when you get up that first big hill just after first light, in the cool and when yer still half asleep. Summit attempt....That was a May day, with Johnny Baise. Temps snuck up to triple digits. Just real hard to carry enough water, even with caching. We got on the toe on the south side, from Hepworth. One lose pitch, 5.2ish. Then class 3 ramp traversing the east side of the peak until you are directly east of the peak, a ramp cuts back, class 4 with increasing exposure. I remember crossing some steep pine needles in a spot that would spit you out. Then the crux. Slab. No pro. Johnny, my hired gun said that it just wasn't in him on this day. He questimated 5.7. I have some question on the difficulty of turning the slanted summit capstone too, some 400 feet higher. I would dearly love to sneak up that one sometime. Anyone out there been? Ram
  10. David Marcus

David Marcus Guest

My friend Ken and I backpacked to the arch in March or April (can't remember - it was spring break) of 1976. We slept right next to the arch, and hung our food bags off the arch to keep them safe from critters. When we got back to the valley, we got a tongue-lashing from the rangers for creating visual pollution - people had been looking at our food bags all afternoon through the telescope in the Visitor Center parking lot!

I'm sure there's a moral there somewhere (don't get a permit, so no one will know who's food sack it is? use camo-colored food sacks? go to the arch as a dayhike instead of an overnight?) but we were too young and dumb for it to even have occurred to us that someone would notice us up there on the side of Bridge Mtn.
  11. Hank Moon

Hank Moon Guest

Hey Tanya

Hope to go (more the merrier) and looking forward to meeting you and the entire crazed gang! Now, who is "everyone" ? Shane? He sure likes to snuggle up against me at night onna counta that crappy pad he uses, but I didn't know he was talkin' about it!

Joe, I certainly remember meeting you at the VC back in Sept. (what a smokeout that weekend was, eh?) See ya in May!

hank

>I hope that means you join us when we go! I have heard so much about you Hank. I >would love to meet you. There are few men that everyone only says nice things about, but >you are one. :)

--------------------- The information in this message and/or attachments is intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee and may be confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you have received this e-mail in error and any use of it is prohibited. In such a case please notify the sender and kindly delete this message from your computer and network.

Thank you, Petzl America
  12. ~tanya

~tanya Guest

Lots and lots of men of course .. far too many to name ;) (and I never tell my sources) ;p

Dang! I thought Shane would want to snuggle up against me.. not you! Maybe you can't come with us. ~laughing~

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Hank Moon" <hmoon@p...> wrote:
    Hey Tanya
    Hope to go (more the merrier) and looking forward to meeting you and > the entire crazed gang! Now, who is "everyone" ? Shane? He sure likes to > snuggle up against me at night onna counta that crappy pad he uses, but > I didn't know he was talkin' about it!
    Joe, I certainly remember meeting you at the VC back in Sept. (what a > smokeout that weekend was, eh?) See ya in May!
    hank